First time

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Kuhnayjun, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Kuhnayjun

Kuhnayjun Active Member

Found these were really worth the effort of carefully getting them home. I had been told they were very brittle and were easily destroyed .... so true. I had also been told they had a taste that was reminiscent of some type of cheese. Have to agree. They were very tasty even though the blue staining was a little "off-putting". Commonly called Delicious Milky Cap by my "picking partner". Lactarius deliciosus ... unless they have been renamed in a more current book than I own.

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

These could be either Lactarius deliciosus or L. rubrilacteus, which produces a darker red-coloured milk where cut instead of orange. Both are edible and considered good by some; opinions vary.

3. Kuhnayjun

Kuhnayjun Active Member

After consultation with my "guru" he now claims they are Lactarius sanguifluus and that he simply "referred" to them as Delicious Milky Caps ....

It was me that took the leap to Lactarius deliciosus .... don't know what gave me that idea ... (insert sound of palm slapping forehead)