Spider Plants Not Rooting

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by adamwol, Oct 5, 2009.

1. adamwol

adamwol Member

Hey all,

I have tried rooting probably a half dozen different spider plant cuttings, and not a single one has taken. I have never had a problem before, and I have grown plenty of spider plants. I am not sure what is different this time.

I recently moved from Vancouver to Virginia, so I am wondering if I am doing something different. I am using Miracle Grow potting soil as a medium, and have been using tap water to water them. Could it be the water that is making them fail to grow? I have heard spider plants are sensitive like that. I keep all the cuttings in moist soil, the roots grow roughly 1cm then completely stop. It is very strange. Any ideas?

2. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Are you letting the water sit for 24 hours before you water them? Spider plants can be sensitive to chlorine found in most tap wate.

Alternatively you may want to simply root them in water (albeit after letting the chlorine escape ;) ).

Good luck!

R

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

I would try and root some in just water ... try letting the water sit out for a couple of days before you stick some babies in it .. and try adding a couple of drops of some plant food .. new cutting and stuff dont like fresh water to root in .. they like the green algea looking water .. i never change my water at all just keep adding water to it ... spider plants are probably one of the easiest to root besides the wandering jews..

good luck

Marion

4. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I don't know how big the babies are that you have been trying to root, but, try rooting a few of them in a small 2" or 3" pot at the same time with just a small amount of room between them, and don''t keep the soil wet, or continuously moist, instead, let the soil pretty much dry before watering again, but not so dry for so long they wilt down. Water them like adult plants, water well, let dry...