"Mixing" plants in a pot.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Angelmonster, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Angelmonster

Angelmonster Member

The story is my friend had a corn plant he could no longer take care of. He gave it to me and it is doing great. It has two stalks and it is in a large pot, about 5 inches around from the stalks. I know the water only should be poured at the stalks since their roots stay close together like a dracaena.

My question is could i plant somehting like marble pothos in the outer rim and not have the roots be too ovasive for the corn plant? That way the dirt isn't just useless space that could cause mold to grow. Has anyone had any experience with mixing plants together in a large pot? I have never done this and don't want to find out the pothos will choke the life out of the corn plant's roots >_> Plus it would be really pretty to see the pothos hanging down the side of the plant and growng up it's stalk :-)

Thanks!

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

It should be fine, I usually plants smaller trailing plants at the bases of my large standard ( tree form) plants. Pothos would work well. I have used ficus pumilla,pothos,german ivy, english/algerian ivy, sedum, etc...