Plant ID help needed.

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Ganesh, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Ganesh

Ganesh Member

Hi,

Firstly: Wow! what an interesting, accessible and knowledge filled forum, I'm so glad I stumbled across it.

I am hoping that someone can tell me what I have here?

This is a plant that I rescued from a friend who was neglecting it: admittedly I then continued to neglect it; until I repotted it about 3 months ago. Before I repotted it the plant was extremely pot bound and dehydrated, it now seems to be doing much better in its current container. I have seen healthy looking roots peeking through the bottom of the pot and there appears to be new growth at the top. It grows on a south facing windowsill behind a net curtain and I water it infrequently. Its planted in a mixture of mostly gravel with a very small amount of peat and sand mixed throughout.

Once I know what I'm dealing with I'll be able to do a bit more research and give it the best care and attention I can. I'm utterly fascinated by it and really it's the only indoor plant that I have.

I wonder how old it is?, how big it can get? and will I be able to obtain clones at any point? Also is the patina which is visible on the surface of the plant normal or something I should be concerned about?

Many thanks if you take the time to read this.

Attached Files:

2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

The "patina" is probably the bluish wax coating that some cacti have. I don't know the columnar cacti, but I guess at Pilosocereus pachycladys. The following should hold even if my guess is wrong:
    Size: too big (like most columnars, that is why I don't grow them ...)
    Clones? You mean taking cuttings and rooting them?

3. Ganesh

Ganesh Member

mandarin, thanks for the rapid response!

I agree now that I've had a chance to look at some images: Pilosocereus pachycladus.(A typo I guess! :D ) Whilst my cactus is not particularly blue at the moment I have seen it with a more distinct blue colour in the past.

Yes it must be quite a youngster after seeing that they can grow up to 30'/9m! I know my friend owned it for a few years at least. Its small stature must be down to being pot-bound for so long. I hope that it will grow a bit better now.

Well yes I guess that's what I meant at the time, as I was not sure if this type of cactus would branch or if it would subdivide. I have seen some picture of branched mature plants so I guess you could take cuttings from the branch to leave the rootstock in one piece.

As the base of this plant is quite narrow I foresee some problems with stability maybe even before it branches. Is it possible to take a cutting from this plant so that the new growth will start with a wider base? For instance the top of the plant is already significantly wider and I guess will become more so. If I cut the cactus about halfway down, would this create a healthy cutting? Also would the original plant continue to survive?

As this is still a young plant and relatively new to me I think I would like to grow it and enjoy it a bit more before I attempt to do anything with it. I am Interested though in trying to grow some more plants from it at some point, hopefully of a more substantial size.

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated as I'm very new to all this.

4. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

Correct ...

If it grows as it is supposed to do it is not a problem. However, in small pots, often in too weak light etc. they often grow too tall in relation to their width.

If you cut it the remaining part will grow new stems, possibly several, but it will not look very natural anymore. The upper part - yes, it can become a new plant with a wider base. Halfway down is suitable, but you should allow it to become bigger first. Cactus cuttings can be challenging for the beginner, and it is easier to succeed with a bigger cutting.

5. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Good luck with the cactus - it's a really nice specimen:)

Is that like the 'bloom' you get on some succulents?

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes. It is a natural wax coating which aids survival in dry climates by reducing water loss.

7. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Cool, thanks Mike:)

8. Ganesh

Ganesh Member

Many thanks for the responses and encouragement.

It is my intention to let this little one grow for some time as I am rather fond of it. After reading up on Pilosocereus pachycladus I've seen some other cacti that have roused my interest, so I'll have a scout around and see what I can find locally.

In the same way that this little cacti could become quite a monster I have a feeling that my collection could also swell. Simply hooked on spines.

9. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

Finding something locally is smart. Most cacti love heat and will not thrive without it -but, you can still have them around to enjoy the spines as they will hang on for a long time. If you have a good local vendor, they may have sorted out what will thrive in your climate.

I have a close relationship with one of the best growers in the United States - if you need some additional input on how well a particular species might do in your zone post here.

Our friend from Sweden is a very wise source of information for your climate.