Can I mount a cymbidium?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by donnaargus, Sep 30, 2009.

1. donnaargus

donnaargus Member

Hi! I'm new to this forum.
    Have have some cymbidiums that are growing out of their pots and was wondering if I could try mounting some. Any advice?
    Thanks!
    Donna

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

There are a few Cymbidium species that grow on trees in the wild but I think most Cymbidium hybrids would require so much water and fertilizing as to be not worth the effort. I had to get rid of my standard Cymbidium as it was too big (took up too much space inside during the winter). They can be pot busters, at least in your area they can be left outside (I think that's common in S. Cal.). While my growing conditions are quite different than yours I would think that large pots would require much less maintenance than a mount.

Shaun

3. donnaargus

donnaargus Member

OK - thanks, Shaun...Too bad - I thought it would be fun to try, but I certainly don't want to kill them!
    Donna

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

What kind do you have? Do you have a photo of the blooms? arcticshaun is right. I have seen Cymbidiums mounted on trees in Florida, but they were the smaller, pendulous type. As far as I know, the species behind the typical large standard Cyms are terrestrials, so it would probably be a struggle to try it mounted. But hey, why not give it a try? What exactly do you mean they are growing our of their pots? The thick-leaved pendulous types will do that, but most others will just bust their pots, instead of growing out and over the edge.

5. donnaargus

donnaargus Member

I must just have common hybrids (I'm new to this - I was given 20-some pots of various colors almost a year ago - all needed repotting at that time, I think, but were just about to bloom). I've attached some pictures.

They are pushing up and out of their pots. Some pots may be broken now. I have lots of shade under palms and thought it would be interesting to attach some to palm trunks. It does get cold for long periods here and we do get frost, probably 10 days a year, maybe more.

Thanks for the advice. I do not want to kill them, but I just felt inspired about what could perhaps be done when I saw that clumps can pretty much be lifted right out of the pots now.

Donna

Attached Files:

6. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

You've got some nice ones there! I don't think you would want to give them lots of shade, though. They are high light plants. At least here they are - California has more intense light, so maybe a little shade. Which part of California are you in? I know in some parts they are grown outside year-round, but I didn't think Cyms could freezing - a light frost is okay, though. Perhaps you might be able to actually plant them in the ground. I can't say for sure, but that would be a neat idea.

7. donnaargus

donnaargus Member

Thanks, kevind76 - I sure am enjoying these plants - but I am a novice..

Apparently here (near Santa Barbara) at least some people leave them out all year. Our yard, though, seems to be in a very cold pocket. I'm thinking that I'll cut back on water now that it is getting cold and watch carefully. Maybe cover them overnight if frost seems to be damaging them....?

I'm a bit afraid of planting them in the ground here. We have had to do a lot of amending and still I'm finding that many plants do best if kept in pots and perhaps allowed to root into the ground from the pot. We have the "scraped all the topsoil away for the house foundation" situation. What was left is clay, which shrinks and cracks in the dry months and this is still present under the amendment. The orchids might not get down that deep, but the palm roots are pretty dense in most of the upper soil.

8. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

You're near Santa Barbara? Have you checked out this place: http://www.santabarbaraorchidestate.com/? If not, you should. They seem to be experts on hardy orchids for your area. They would be able to help you with whatever you need interms of orchids.

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Easier to mount than a horse, but higher risk of damaging it on doing so

Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

10. donnaargus

donnaargus Member

You know, kevind76, I was out there long, long ago, before I got these orchids - forgot all about them as a resource. Thanks for the reminder - good idea!

11. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

The catalog at SBOE is fantastic. I didn't follow the link because I can easily lose 1/2 a day just browsing. Sometimes it's safer living where retail botanical sources are scarce.
    I'd love to be able to have a collection of Cymbidiums outside (Clivia too). We just had our first frost and I had to bring my last orchid in from the greenhouse because I can't afford to heat it for long.

Shaun

12. donnaargus

donnaargus Member

Guess I should stop feeling sorry for myself living here, Shaun! You're making it work in tough conditions. But I need to live in the tropics...