Overwintering in Zone 5 Magnolia Sieboldii

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Woodland Jennifer, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Woodland Jennifer

Woodland Jennifer Active Member

I planted a Magnolia Sieboldii, about 5' high this summer. I am at a loss as how to protect it from heavy snowfalls. We can get one foot overnight. I have pruned off the two lowest branches.
    Thank you.
    Jennifer

2. Northpolegardener

Northpolegardener Member

Just put 20cm of leafs under your plant,,,oak leafs works good...then wait for spring...easy *s*

3. Woodland Jennifer

Thank you for responding and for your advice.
    Jennifer

4. Northpolegardener

Northpolegardener Member

Anytime...i got several Magnolias here and i have zone 4 hard winters and litle snow but some of them works just great.. Good luck..:-)

5. Woodland Jennifer

What do you think I should do about the snow on the branches? Do you think some poles and burlap would be a good idea or would you just let the snow fall on it.
    I am Zone 5 here with heavy snowfall. I am in British Columbia.
    Jennifer

6. Northpolegardener

Northpolegardener Member

I would just let it snow...we dont get that much snow here but some winters it can be 1 or 2 feet of snow...never damage anything here....Jonny

7. Woodland Jennifer

Thank you, I shall do that as I can't think of how I can do anything about it.
    We have a snowfall of fifteen feet over the winter. It, of course settles but off the beaten tracks it is up to the top of ones legs.
    Jennifer

8. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

We have heavy snow here in some winters -- seldom as much as 15 feet, I'd guess -- but these hardy magnolias seem to come through okay. A friend on Mt. Desert Island, near Acadia National Park, has quite a collection which I'm sure includes at least one or two sieboldii along with other less common varieties, and I've never noticed any serious winter damage.

The most dangerous thing of course is wet, heavy snow that can snap branches, or freezing rain. But really, what can you do? One thing is not to fertilize too heavily during the growing season, or even not to fertilize at all, except to correct nutritional deficiencies in the soil. The plants grow more slowly but the wood is harder and more durable.

9. Northpolegardener

Northpolegardener Member

Wow...fifteen feet...i sold my snowmobile because of the lack of snow....noe i knoe where i should live ;-)

10. Northpolegardener

Northpolegardener Member

*now i know*...both my english and typing skills aint what they should be *L*

11. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Your English is wonderful, and as for typing skills ... UBC would be doing us all a favor if they redesigned the website so that the "Post Quick Reply" button was on the other side of the room.

12. Woodland Jennifer

Kaspian, thank you so much for your reply. I shall do as you say and not fertilize at all. We have very good soil here so I don't think I would have a problem.
    I or my husband will make a point of shovelling a path to the secret garden and take the snow off after each snowfall. This is the tree's first winter here I would hate to lose it.
    Thanks again. Jennifer

13. castawaykev

castawaykev Active Member

Magnolia Sieboldii should really be listed as a zone 4b hardy magnolia. I never have lost even 1 and I sell magnolias on PEI. We are lucky to be listed as zone 5b/6a. However, we are more a 6a now with global warming. Also we got next to no winter this year. PLus spring has sprung early and the temperatures are really warm almost in the 20's and it isnt even mid march. I seldom protect my magnolia's except I tend to plant (my own) in a less windy area on my property.

www.thehoneytreenursery.com

14. Woodland Jennifer

Thank you Castaway.
    Jennifer