Pronunciation Help

Discussion in 'Maples' started by petejacobsen, Aug 10, 2005.

1. petejacobsen

petejacobsen Member

While I've got a pretty good idea how to say "Boxelder" or "Ash-leaved Maple", I don't know how to say "Acer negundo". Does the first word start with an "Ace" sound or and "Ass" sound? Or is the emphasis the other way, sounding like "ah-Sir". Similar questions about "negundo", esp. "gun" or "goon".

Is there a website that offers pronunication help for latin names? It seems I ran across one (might not have been trees though) that offered a rhyming phrase as a help, but I can't find it again. Any suggestions?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm with the botanical purists, c is always a 'k' sound in Latin. "Ak-air" or "Ak-er".

negundo - "ne-gun-doe"

4. petejacobsen

petejacobsen Member

Acer = Ak+air ... wouldn't you know I'd offer three possibilities and the answer would be yet another one! Thanks for the pointer to the article with pronunciation help (although I notice they go with AY-sir).

I'm going to have to find someone who speaks these names comfortably and listen. There are some things the web is not best at.

5. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

As french is a latin language, we say : Ass her na (like navy) goon doe (like john doe)

Hope this helps ;-)

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Timber press has a book (and I have my copy) called "Botanical Latin" it has a pronounciation guide as well as meanings for many root words and extensions.

great for the hort nerds out there. :)

7. Michael F

The book to get on the subject - also titled Botanical Latin - is by William T. Stearn. David & Charles, ISBN 0715385488

8. jimmyq

Micheal F. I think we are talking about the same book, different publisher perhaps. mine is titled :" Botanical Latin, fourth edition. William T. Stearn, Timber Press, ISBN: 0-88192-321-4

9. jimmyq

Two others in the same realm of thought, different in their content and level of detail.
    1) Dictionary of plant names, Allen J. Coombes, Timber press, ISBN 0-88192-023-1

2) Stearn's dictionary of plant names for gardeners. William T Stearn, Timber press, ISBN 0-88192-556-x

10. Andre

Regarding the name "negundo", it has nothing to do with latin.

The name "Negundo" was apparently applied because of similarities between
    the leaf shape of this acer with Negundo (which is the indian or bengali name for the little tree "Vitex negundo" aka Chastetree).

On this link you can also hear the latin pronunciation.

11. petejacobsen

petejacobsen Member

Andre,
    Thanks for the pointer to the Virginia Tech website. I've been there before, but didn't notice the little sound icon that let me hear the nice Italian lady say the species name.

I looked up Acer Negundo, and noticed that she pronounces Acer as "ah-Chur" where Chur rhymes with cure. Then again, maybe my ears aren't all they should be (could explain why I have to put in those little plastic-enclosed microprocessors every morning!)

12. Michael F

Trouble is, Italian isn't the same as Latin! The two are pronounced completely differently. I'd not rely on it for anything other than learning the Italian pronunciations . . . you want to get Cicero ("Ki-ke-ro") or Julius Caesar ("Yulius Kaisar") to do the reading . .

13. Andre

I did some research with Google and finally it seems french and italian pronounce Acer in a wrong way.

After I read this page I think the right pronunciation is Aker naygoondo.

Thank you for your help ! I learn something today ;-)