A thread for hot pepper-a-holics...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Knowledge is always a valuable asset to be desired. Our company inspects and test all pepper seeds prior to planting. There are several easy culling techniques to increase germination percentage and potential seedling vigor, which will produce the best strongest plants. First we place the seeds in a tray of water and discard any that float. Floating seeds are either damaged, partial seeds, or lacking embryos. Further, remove any that are undersized, shriveled, discolored, cracked or otherwise damaged. We have found that an outstanding medium to germinate pepper seed in is, sterile potting soil, perlite and vermiculite mixed in equal proportions. The potting soil and vermiculite hold moisture and nutrients, and the perlite prevents compaction, aids in drainage and aeration, and promotes root growth. Before planting pepper seeds, water the cells with a dilute solution of 20-20-20 fertilizer (1/2 teaspoon in 1 gallon water, or a slow release fertilizer like 10-10-10. Then plant the seed 1/4 inch deep placing 2 or 3 seed per hole.. - Millet (1,205-)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Knowledge is valuable, but being wise enough to offer it at the right time, especially when dealing with someone who might be new to gardening, is also desirable. Too much information can boggle a beginners mind with things they really don't need to be concerned about, at this time.

Eve Von Paradis - do not let all this unrelated information scare you into thinking you need to get that technical about growing peppers. They are super easy, and there's nothing to them, really.

As long as you can keep things nice and warm, your pepper plants will keep producing fruits all winter long. I am not too sure if a fluorescent light system will provide enough light to sustain your pepper plants, but I am a big fan of experimentation, and think you should give it a try. Your top of the fridge set-up will provide warmth.

To ensure success, using real sunlight, in combination with your fluorescent, will prove to be most rewarding. On sunny days, put the pepper plants in the window, but be sure it's still pretty warm - no open windows. Put them under your light, on cloudy, rainy days.

I fertilize my pepper plants with a low nitrogen fertilizer (N = Nitrogen - the first number in the formula). You will find that if you can provide enough light, the plants develop quickly and begin producing in a short span of time. Hot peppers are especially beautiful to watch grow and ripen.

What exactly will you be growing this Winter?

: )

3. Millet

After the pepper seeds sprout, cull all but the most vigorous seedlings from each cell by clipping them at the base with scissors. Gently water the seedlings from the top using warm water, and make certain the cells are kept moist, but do not allow water to sit in the trays and keep the mixture soggy. When pepper seedlings are stressed at all by drying out or wilting, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to revive their normal growth. Make certain there is adequate ventilation and air circulation in the growing environment. Fertilize the seedlings once a week with the same dilute mixture described earlier. This method will produce very strong vigorous plants. - Millet (1,204-)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  4. The Hollyberry Lady

I have to agree with most of what you said Millet, but you may want to give 2nd thought to this...

Not that I am encouraging underwatering, but in fact just the other day, I had a pepper seedling tucked away in the corner, behind a large pot, and I had overlooked it for several weeks! It was bone-dry, and so badly wilted that I doubted it could ever be revived, but with a 'what have I got to lose' attitude, I placed it into a deep dish of water, to see if it would make it...

If you could see that same seedling now, you wouldn't believe anything ever happened to it! It looks as good as new. They can be revived, even back from the 'half dead'!

Not advisable of course, but it just goes to show how forgiving peppers really are.

5. Millet

HollyberryLady, you can be very thankful that your plant "survived", however it will never produce as well as if it was never weakened, and not put through a period of such stress. A pepper that is grown constantly in a healthy condition, is a pepper plant that will provide its grower with a full reward at harvest. Anyway, I am happy for the plant that it was not killed. The best. - Millet (1,204-)

6. The Hollyberry Lady

We may have to agree to disagree on this point, because this is not the first time I have had this happen, and I must say that I have noticed no significant changes in yield compared to unstressed plants. I more than make up for my accidental neglect immediately, and no harm is ever done.

I must say though, that these are not practices I would encourage, however it can happen accidently, even to the best of us. For people who are not commercially growing and for people who just want to grow a few pretty peppers though, getting this technical Millet, is not necessary.

Especially for a beginner, who just wants to get their feet wet, and see how peppers grow, all these details can be very overwhelming. I have seen newcomers disappear in threads because they were likely discouraged that it is all so "difficult" to do! When in fact it isn't.

I think most of your information Millet, in this thread anyway, would be more befitting for a farmer whose livelihood is contingent on his crops and yields - not for a beginner who just wants to experiment a bit.

I just like to keep it simple and I think that new gardeners appreciate that because it builds their confidence, making them think they can really pull it off - because they can.

7. Millet

When planting peppers in the garden Cornell University, suggests close spacing, placing them on 1-foot centers. Pepper plants grow twice as tall when they're tightly spaced, and therefore, there is a lot less sunscald on the fruit because they are better shaded by the leaves. Many commercial pepper growers space their plant as closely as 4 inches apart. Most importantly, close spacing helps to keep vital moisture under the canopy of leaves. - Millet (1,204-)

8. Eve von Paradis

Eve von Paradis Active Member

Hello Hollyberry Lady and Millet,

Thank you for all your information thus far. I actually appreciate both the "trial and error" process of gardening as well as learning the technical/scientific going-ons as well. :)

9. Eve von Paradis

hmmm, as for what I'll grow this Winter... I haven't decided which kind of chilli. My only experience with chilli growing has been outside in the Summer and I believe I had grown some kind of thai chilli pepper, hungarian chilli and habanero. I have never grown anything indoors before.

I do garden extensively (flora, fauna,fruits,veggies). However, because of my chaotic life (I know, whose isnt??!), I have not gotten round to growing my veggies from seed indoors. Plus, I think I don't have the right growing indoor conditions. So I'm seriously thinking of getting a modest system that will allow me to do so. I do live in Vancouver, bc, so it's rain rain rain in the winter and we don't see the sun much. :(

Perhaps, Hollyberry Lady, could you suggest a particularly easy chilli pepper to grow for beginners?

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, I think getting a modest system would be great, and it would supply you with many hot peppers throughout winter.

I could suggest Aurora as a great one to try, or explosive amber, chilly chili, etc. Smaller varieties would definitely be better to start with, and especially if light is not strong to sustain a bigger hot pepper plant.

You personally may enjoy the scientific information, but a number of new gardeners can find it confusing and discouraging. I did not begin this thread to go on about commercial growing practices, however, it is more for just regular gardeners who love and enjoy hot peppers, and who are growing, or want to be growing them.

By all means, Millet - why don't you start a thread called 'The commercial practices of hot pepper growing'. Also too, I would think that since you know so much about growing peppers - you must have some outstanding pics to show off your gorgeous and remarkable plants. I would just love to see what kind of pepper plants, a professional such as yourself, would grow...

11. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Hi Eve,

Welcome,

I have never tried to grow a plant over winter myself, but i am hoping to bring an existing plant it for the winter and see how i do with it, i personally grew around 15 kinds of peppers over the summer here, and for the most part, all of them did well.
    Good luck, and again, Welcome.,

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Penny, I think you will have terrific success bringing your pepper plant inside for the Winter. You are an amazing gardener, with know-how, and I bet that thing will be producing peppers like crazy. Just keep it warm and in good sunlight, and it's success is pretty much guaranteed.

I took this pic this morning of my 'Masquerade' peppers. I sent you this type as well, Penny...

Attached Files:

13. Millet

Aluminum foil mulch produces higher yields of bell peppers. Reflective mulches also drastically reduce aphid infestations in peppers, thus lowering the incidence of aphid transmitted viruses. Pepper plants in plots that are mulched with aluminum foil yield a WHOPPING 85 percent more peppers than unmulched peppers. - Millet (1,203-)

14. The Hollyberry Lady

Very interesting! Aphids can be a real problem on pepper plants.

85% more yield with aluminum foil mulch - wow! Have you actually tried this?

Shame we couldn't see some pics of the peppers you grow, using all of your methods. They must be spectacular...

15. Eve von Paradis

Thanks for the recommendation, Hollyberry Lady. If I cant get a light system set up this winter, perhaps I'll try just growing one chilli plant and baby it and do as you suggest bring it the window and see what happens.

By the way, I really enjoy your photos. They are very inspiring!

Actually, I do have a question: So you do grow your chillis indoors in the winter, right? What's the temperature setting in the room where your chilli plants grow?

16. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, I am glad you are inspired Eve von Paradis! After all, seeing is believing.

If I raved on with a bunch of advice, yet never showed a picture of any of my plants grown with my suggested methods, you may begin to wonder if I even knew what I was talking about!

Seeing someone back up their words with a picture, really allows a beginner to have faith in what they are being told, and to imagine their own plant, similar to the one they are seeing in the picture. A picture says a thousand words.

I find a lot of people banter on about all these great ways to grow things, but yet you never see one shot of their plants, to show that their methods truly are superior - or even just really good.

The truth is, there are many different ways that one can go about growing peppers - it isn't just black and white. Many gardeners have various ways of growing the exact same plant, and neither is right nor better - it's about preference.

It's also about what stage of gardening you are at, that can determine your methods sometimes, as well as your reasons for growing. Gardening is very much a personal experience, and it's ok that we don't all do everything the same.

Yes, if you can offer some good sunlight, and consistent warmth, you will find your success is pretty much in the bag.

Um, temperture? I keep it between +21 to +23 degrees celcius - which equates to between 70 and 74 Farenheit.

17. Millet

Dear Hollyberry Lady, I don't know why you continually have bad mouthed me from the first word that I posted. If you go back and look at every one of my posting, you will find that I have only attempted to add helpful information concerning the cultivation of peppers. I have never posted even ONE single word against your favor. The guys here in the office say that you must think of me as being competition to your authority on this forum, since you started attacking me from the very first moment I joined the pepper forum. I certainly do not wish to compete against you, nor quarrel with you. Therefore, from now on you will be dead to me, and I think it best in the future that I not respond to any more of your uncalled for insults toward me. However you have a really great day. OK enough of that....

If I may, I do have a recommendation for a great little pepper that preforms admirably growing indoors, throughout the winter months. It is the Capsicum annuum ornamental cultivar "Chilly Chilli". Chilly Chili, is an ornamental that has no heat, and is an All-American Selections winner. The plant does great in pots, produces 2 inch long pods that grow upright above the foliage. The pods transition from yellow to orange to red as they mature. It is a wonderful variety. You all probably already know, a pepper that is an All American Selection winner is a variety chosen by gardening experts as the all around best of the best. Have a wonderful day. - Millet (1,202-)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  18. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

While I can see why you might interpret HBL's replies to your posts as a bit uncalled for, she is not "bad-mouthing" you purposely. I think she intended for this thread to be more of a steping stone into the world of peppers rather than the researched & documented information you generally provide.

To me, it seems that HBL is acting as more of an elementary teacher while you perform as a scholar - more of a college professor. These two types of education often clash in the same room, but I personally find the variety very helpful. I hope you can forgive her, for I know she holds no quarrel with anyone who has not done wrong to her and you are no exception.

Now, HBL, you have been picking at Millet's posts quite a bit, and his info has been great for me. While I am merely a beginner, all that advanced information keeps me knowing there's always a way to make things better and that a gardener never stops learning. When you say that a commercial-sized crop isn't what most people are looking for, per-plant I would say otherwise. What good is growing peppers if you cannot produce as many yummies as possible?

I choose no side, but prefer to illuminate the situation from a 3rd party, and find the both of you great at helping out us newer pepper-lovers.

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Frankly ShearMe, it might have been better if you stayed out of this. Your take on the whole situlation is not exactly accurate.

Millet - there is no competition with someone who can't even post a single shot of their plants! How ridiculous. I am not threatened by you in the slightest. Your post speaks volumes about how it is actually you, who is the rude one, and you, who has the problem with me. Please do not put your issues, on other people.

I know as much Scientific information as anyone, but I get pm's all the time, complimenting me on my simplified instructions that are easy to follow. People who are just beginning with gardening, want to hear directions that are comprehensible and easy-to-follow.

I have never once said that good-size yields were not important - I was referring to farmer's whose livelihoods depend on their crops. I like to get the most fruits I can too - that's why I fertilize.

Anyway, I am here to garden, not to tell others that they are 'dead' to me! How absolutely dramatic, and uncalled for. I am shocked that you would type something like that - although I likely shouldn't be. I have read other threads where you have offended people, so I shouldn't be at all surprised, really.

It is an outright lie, to say that I have attacked you from the very first moment you joined the forum - we even sent pm's to each other before, that were friendly. You have a good imagination though, I'll give you that.

Furthermore, I already suggested 'Chilly Chilli' as a good one to try for beginners. It is a wonderfully colorful variety, and it's not too big either. Here a picture of mine...

Attached Files:

• 628.jpg
      628.jpg
      File size:
      137.6 KB
      Views:
  20. Millet

The NUMBER ONE key factor affecting fruit set in peppers is the night time temperature, which ideally needs to be between 65 and 80F. Fruit WILL NOT set when the temperature is above 86F at night because of excessive transpiration, which causes blossom drop. Other causes of blossom drop are excessive nitrogen, high winds, and lack of pollination. If daytime temperatures exceed 95F, the pollen in pepper flowers will abort and therefore fruit set is reduced or stopped. Spraying hormones such as gibberellic acid (Bloom Set sold at most garden centers) on the flowers prevent blossom drop. A home remedy calls for spraying the blossoms with a solution of 1 teaspoon Epsom salts in 1 quart of warm water. According to lore, the magnesium in the Epsom salts helps the blooms to set their fruit. - Millet (1,202-)

21. The Hollyberry Lady

I have never been that particular about temperature, within reason of course, yet it never affects my fruit-set, so I don't want beginners to think that they have to be fanatical about temps either. They do not.

As long as things are reasonably warm, your fruit-set will be good. The variety is also a factor as well, because 'gypsy' will produce fruits even when it's very cool. Same with Fire Cracker hot pepper, which will also produce peppers despite the temperature.

22. redster

redster Active Member

well i get a little busy and leave for a week and this happens. i was going to post another pic or two but i feel itll get lost in the arguement here. so against my better judgement ill respond to what ive seen. i think your both right and both wrong.

millet- if you recognize my name, you know ive posted on the citrus board before. ill say that reading your posts and the ones of 1 or 2 others are the reason ive joined this forum in the first place. i value your opinion more than any other here, id bet. even as a citrus beginner i love your long drawn out replies that go into too much detail. of course im a geek, not everybody is gonna like that. that said, when i started reading your replies here, the first thing that came to mind was whether or not youd marry me. now im 100% straight and already married, but seriously, you like my perfect man, to love and know so much about peppers AND citrus...

my second reaction was that it was too much detail, as much as i love this stuff, i dont think beginners need most of what you wrote. the one thing i learned about peppers, if you plant them they will grow. simple as that. i have pepper plants that are taller than my 2 year old citrus. either im doing something really wrong with the citrus or something really right with my peppers. ill say i dont even look at the peppers anymore. they ARE that easy, probably the easiest thing ive grown. all they need is air, water, sun, and a little warmth. keep it simple if thats whats needed.

third, you need to apologize for that dead to me comment. it was really uncalled for and just plain mean. i dont care if you do it publicly or private, i dont need to know, but she doesnt deserve that. much like the peppers, its that simple...

hollyberry, all ill say is cut him a little slack. thats how he replys, thats the only way ive seen him do it, its possible he cant stay simple and still get the same meaning across. i realize his replys werent really to the question asked, but some of us do like the long drawn out science behind this. i am one of them.

shear me, well said...

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Redster, I'm sure you mean well, but it would have just been better if you had have just posted your shots, and refrained from commenting on something that has nothing to do with you, or ShearMe.

We were already past it actually, and now you're just drudging it up again. You don't need to ask for an apology for me - I can handle my own affairs.

This thread is about hot peppers, so let's get back to the topic, shall we?...

24. The Hollyberry Lady

Here's another one of my 'Chilly Chilli' plants, in a pot with my Bay Laurel tree.

It is small enough that it can be added with other plants as well. Very colorful and productive...

Attached Files:

25. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I just love the name Chilly Chili, very pretty.