Lemon Tree W/ Yellowing Leaves

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by RaiseFire, Oct 1, 2009.

1. RaiseFire

RaiseFire Member

I had this meyers lemon tree for about two years now with lots of trouble growing it. It was down to the base of the trunk and 2 or 3 leaves when I moved it inside from the balcony about 4 months ago where I think it was baking in 100+F degrees. Anyways it came back real strong. It puts on about 3 to 4 inch of growth a month. I fertilize regularly with nutri-star citrus fertilizer and about 3 months ago i gave it a serving of epsom salts. Right before I moved it in I changed the soil with miracal grows citrus soil. When I changed the soil it didnt look root bound or seem to have any root rot so I kept it in the same pot. I water it about once a week or when it feels dry just enough to get about 10-20% of the water to come out. After reading through the forums I came to the conclusion that it might have some salt build up, so I just got done with it sitting under the shower head for 20 min. When it needs watering again I plan to shower it once more and maybe another after that. It sits in a plastic pot facing a western direction, I have yet to move it back outside, the water drains in a catch below the pot to help aid in moister but the pot doesnt sit in the water. A few of the leaves are turning yellow with some browning on the edges. Did I come up with the right diagnosis for the tree or could it be possibly something else?

Attached Files:

2. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Possibly salt buildup. Maybe also damage from the sun. And with the newer leaves looking as they do, a deficiency of some type? I wouldn't know why though, best to do a google search I think

3. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Active Member

Aesir, I have had three citrus trees in the Miracle-Gro palm and citrus soil and all three of them died within six months. The leaves turned yellow and dropped off and then the branches died back, and it sounds like the same thing happened to your tree after repotting. The reason is that that particular potting medium is made up of mostly peat moss, which by itself is terrible for citrus because it breaks down and smothers the roots. I don't know why they advertise it as citrus soil, but trust me, it's a tree killer.

Millet, one of the members of this forum, told me about chc, which is coconut husk chips. I repotted my Meyer lemon into chc and it has thrived, because chc eliminates alot of the common problems with growing citrus trees, mainly overwatering and root suffocation. It also just happens to be the exact acidity that citrus likes, which I believe is 6.5.

Even if you decide not to go with the chc, I personally believe the number one priority for your tree is to either get it out of the Miracle-gro citrus soil or to amend the soil with something that will lighten it up and aerate it. But I really can't recommend chc enough, because it takes so much of the guesswork out of growing citrus. I know I will personally never grow a citrus tree in anything else.

4. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Just for the record, this wasn't my question lol :)

And I also support chc :D

5. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Active Member

Oh duh, sorry aesir. Raisefire, my previous reply was actually for you.

6. RaiseFire

RaiseFire Member

thanks for your replies... ill go see if i can find any chc sometime soon... Ive been meaning to check and see if the roots are getting cramped or not anyways since the rapid growth its put on the past 4 months.