What type of plant is this?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by wolffi1, Sep 28, 2009.

1. wolffi1

wolffi1 Member

Hi,
    I am looking to use this plant for a large hedge area. The problem is, no one can tell me the name of this plant. I have been told it may be a Flax or a Lily. But no true answer. It is the plant on the left....If anyone has an idea please pass it on.
    Thank You

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Ever have any blossoms on it, and if so what did they look like?
    Have you dug up any---bulbs, or not?

3. wolffi1

wolffi1 Member

Hi Togata57,
    In the 2 years it has been growing, I have yet to see a blossom ( I think) I could always be wrong but not to my recollection.

As for digging up to look , that would be a good idea. I will do that and get back to you on it.
    Thank You

4. togata57

Looks almost like an enormous growth of spider plant...hmm...but you would've seen its 'babies' in 2 years, I'm sure. My hanging spiders (all green, like your mystery plant) do FILL UP their pots over time---and I'm thinking that what's a big plant here would probably get HUGE in Florida.

Cheerful to see your healthy sunlit plants! Here we're having our first real blast of cold air---winds 30-40 MPH and temps going down into the 40s! Feels arctic.

Will await your further post.

5. wolffi1

wolffi1 Member

Thanks again, I will definitely check the roots and tell you what I find. I didn't realize that this blog is out of BC. What a coincidence, my Dad lives in BC. Small world :-) Speak soon

6. James D.

James D. Active Member

it could be creeping lily turf, try looking that up.

7. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Sure looks like a crinum. Could be an old bed of amaryllis, but the location doesn't look mature enough to have that much dense foliage. Crinums would have huge bulbs and some very fleshy roots.

8. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Maybe Dianella atraxis, Blue Flax Lily?

9. wolffi1

wolffi1 Member

Thank you for all the response!! After hearing from Togata57 I ran with the spider plant that led me to Laxums which finally got me to chlorophitum laxum plant. The leaves look very close and the height as well. The only difference is the size of my plant which is most likely due to all the sun and rain we have had down here. The plant lives in direct sunlight all day and has no flaws in that department. Now my only problem is purchasing a large quantity to use a long hedge, I guess I could grow seperate and grow more from the host but that would take forever. Anyway, thank you all for your input!
    JW

10. togata57

Ha! Glad I could help, JW. Also glad I went with my first reaction to your photo: Giant spider plant!