A few plant to identfy

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by redlines4me, Sep 28, 2009.

1. redlines4me

redlines4me Member

These are growing in my new yard. I could use some help identifying them. One looks like some kind of grass. I'm not sure about the other two.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

#2 is a spindle of some sort. A larger pic would help.

#3 might be a hibiscus, but too dark (and also too small a pic!) to tell for sure.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Purple-leaved form of Miscanthus sinensis.

Euonymus sp., as indicated by "spindle"

Probably a Lavatera.

4. Hase1

Hase1 Member

# 1, purple fountain grass?

5. Brian Q

Brian Q Member

Evergreen Oak Highway 9 (twin specimens).
    I know I'm going back to a very old post of yours.

I harvested some acorns yesterday (beat the squirrels). I really like those trees and wanted to propogate at least one for planting at my place on Camano Island. If anyone else might like a tree, I'd be glad to share young plants when ready or acorns.

Still wondering if it is truely Huckleberry Oak as the trees are certainly not shrub-like.

The property owner's Grandmother said her father planted them in the early 1900's, she said her family has always called them "California" Oaks. She didn't know where the great-grandfather got the plants or seeds.

6. Ron B

Canyon live oaks just off the highway in front of the church at 1749 State Hwy 9, Big Lake, WA were noticed by me in time to be documented on page 74 of Van Pelt, Champion Trees of Washington State (1996, University of Washington, Seattle). There was also a smaller one next to a small house down the highway a bit, south of there.

I would be interested in planting seedlings of these - or, if you are talking about another planting, then seedlings of those - on the Camano Island property I am working part of the time.

Huckleberry oak is similar but smaller. Van Pelt (1996) lists one he measured at the Ballard Locks on page 75. Jacobson, Trees of Seattle - Second Edition (2006) gives more recent dimensions, and mentions a taller (33') one elsewhere in town.

Not having given the matter any thought for some years it is certainly possible I have misidentified one or more of the Big Lake plantings. I've never stopped at the house with the one tree right next to it. I probably did compare with (and rule out) huckleberry oak when visiting the two at the church, but do not remember now.

7. Brian Q

Brian Q Member

I can't say that I have noticed another smaller version of these twin oaks south on 9, but I'll keep my eyes peeled as my daughter lives South of the church down by the golf course.

I'm simply going to put these acorns into pots and attempt to get them to germinate next Spring. I'm going over to Oak Harbor to gather acorns there from some of the great native oaks there. I've been propogating Oregon white from there and from acorns gathered in Sequim. I've planted many, many of them over the years.

I'd be glad to either send you some of the acorns from the "canyon live oaks" of Hiway 9 or I'll share any of the young trees once they sprout. That is assuming that they will sprout.

8. Ron B

Thanks. If you have gotten good results from Garry oak, you will probably be able to grow the others also. I remember visiting the two at the church during July one year and seeing Stellar jays going for the acorns at that time.

Michael Lee, Colvos Creek nursery (contact information at web site) has grown thousands of these two and other western native oaks from acorns at his nurseries on/near Vashon Island over the years. You might want to chat with him about it.

9. Brian Q

Brian Q Member

Do you know of any source for golden chinquapin? I had started one years ago from a seed that I collected on Bainbridge Island at the Blodell Reserve. It grew well and I really enjoyed that tree. I'd like to find a new source of either seed or a seedling tree.

I'll try Colvos Creek re: Oaks.