British Columbia: Vancouver Swap : Oct 18 09 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Plant Swaps and Meetups' started by tiger_lily, Sep 18, 2009.

1. tiger_lily

tiger_lily Active Member 10 Years

I am pleased to host a plant swap at my house in Burnaby (close to Imperial St & Canada Way) on the afternoon of Sunday, Oct 18, let's say 1:30pm (no earlier than 1pm) until 4:30pm (or so).

All in the Vancouver BC area are welcome, including "newbie" gardeners. ;-) Come join us for a good time of plant swapping, chatting about plants, etc. Bring your garden extras and find them good homes. Come away with new plants to try, and new gardening friends.

I have started a separate thread to post your "HAVES" and "WANTS". PLEASE FEEL FREE TO USE THIS THREAD IS FOR ANY OTHER SWAP-RELATED DISCUSSIONS.

2. gardeningfever

gardeningfever Member

Re: Vancouver Swap : Oct 18 - Discussion

Ok, so i'm starting a post here so as not to clog up the trade list thread.

KarinL: I'm interested in your physocarpus starter. Is there anything of mine you're interested in at all? Thanks,

Boloxis: My one and only japanese maple hasn't given me any seedlings yet. I think it's in too sunny of a location this summer so it was stressed too much to make babies. Maybe next year. Hopefully others will have something to interest you.

Karen

3. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

i am new at gardening and i dont have anything to trade yet, would some people b selling maybe? i would love to attend

4. gardeningfever

gardeningfever Member

Hi Claudia,

We don't sell anything at the swaps as someone said in the past that it would change the atmosphere of sharing and comraderie of the semi-annual event.

But you can always attend for the gardening chatter; there are always lots to learn from each other.

If you have seeds too there are some people that would trade that.

There maybe extra plant divisions that people may have extras to share as well but this thread is awefully slow right now.

Hopefully there will be more responses soon.

5. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

Ok thanks, yeah i am in burnaby too so will b close to attend plus nice to meet people and learn about plants too :)

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Karen, I'd be happy to have a hibiscus cutting for the Physocarpus. I'm not sure about the time of year but I'm certainly willing to try, and if it doesn't root over winter I can maybe get another from you in spring.

Claudia, the last time we had a swap someone came who didn't have any plants to trade but she traded some jars of homemade jelly instead, which I thought was a lovely idea.

7. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

Thats a nice idea, thanks mmmm what can i bring mmmmmm lol

8. gardeningfever

gardeningfever Member

KarinL, yes, for sure i can replace the hibiscus in the Spring if they don't root. My parent's have a fully grown monsterous shrub that needs the pruning. :) I'll root some myself over winter that way some will have to strike at some point.

mmm homemade jelly . . . i think i missed that swap. That's a great idea. What about homemade plant labels - nice wire work with aluminum foil tape. Supplies can be had from HD. Just an idea.

Well, ladies i'm off to Europe and will be returning Oct 4, 2009. If there is wifi i will check the forum and emails. ttys.

9. Eve von Paradis

Eve von Paradis Active Member

Hello everyone,
    I just registered in this forum. I've been gardening since I've moved to my new ol' house in 2003. I've been gardening in seculsion since! It's time for my debut, I think. ;) I believe I'll have some plants to share, so I'll survey my garden later this week, and give a full report.

10. Eve von Paradis

Hello Tiger Lily,

May I ask when you started hosting this Plant trading day?

11. tiger_lily

I started attending plant swaps maybe 5 years ago. At the time "we" Vancouver folks met and organized on Gardenweb, and used to have Spring & Fall swaps, hosted by whoever volunteered their home/yard. It has been a few seasons since we last had one, but a few of us recently got back in touch by email, and I was happy to volunteer for this Fall. It's selfish actually - I am the only one who doesn't need to haul plants in & out of my trunk. ;-)

12. forestlover

forestlover Member

Thanks for hosting the swap Lily. I'm looking forward to some garden chatter again. It's always fun attending the plant swaps.

I have quite a few extra plants that could use new homes before winter comes.

I'm not keeping extra plants in pots over winter anymore. During our usual mild winters the plants usually survive in the pots. But last winter it went down to -15 here and most of my potted plants bit the dust. I was crushed.

So, the extra ones I've potted up this year have gotta go.

A list of my extra plants are on the trade list here - http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=56740

13. Candy

Candy Active Member

I'm in. I'll post a list on the other site.

14. Candy

Candy Active Member

Gardening fever: I'd like a Heuchera mars, please. Want to trade for my Geisha's fan? I just googled images, and wonder if mine was mis-labelled. Its colour is closer to Georgia Peach or Marmalade.

I'd also love a hibiscus cutting.

Claudia6, if you like sedums (google images; groundcover sedums), I can bring you some--they're dead easy to grow and great for rock gardens or a dry corner. Let me know.

15. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

That will b great Candy, thank you

16. tiger_lily

Forestlover - I think I have a perfect spot for your Artemisia lactiflora 'Guizhou' & Ligularia przewalskii, and would be happy with some Saxifraga stolonifera also. I hope I will find some plants you will like also. It will be fun to get together again.

I have been trying not to look (I always see lots of plants I would like), but instead have started digging up the many seedlings I've been leaving in my garden until such a time as this, when I can give them good homes. I hope to post a HAVES list soon.

17. jbutts

jbutts Member

Any chance of people bringing pictures of their gardens? I'd love to see where you actually plant your various offerings, and what you companion with them. Maybe if one person brought their laptop, the rest of us could bring picture cards...?

J

18. Candy

Candy Active Member

I have a friend (Abby) who's a new gardener (we spent most of yesterday removing 2 walnut trees from her backyard), and is interested in the swap. She bakes bread and makes jewellery, and could trade those items.

She needs easy, low maintenance plants, but doesn't have any strong preferences, so would be happy to take what's available.

19. Candy

Candy Active Member

And for those of you who are new gardeners, and are in the New West/Burnaby area, you might want to consider joining a garden club. Burnaby has one (don't have info), and the New Westminster Horticultural Society has monthly meetings in Queens Park's Centennial Lodge and a great spring plant sale (if you volunteer, you get dibs). http://www.newwesthortsociety.org/

20. gardeningfever

gardeningfever Member

Hi All,

I'm back - jet-lagged tho so i'm gonna make this one short.

Candy, ya i'll trade the huecheras with you and i'll bring some cuttings as well.

Eve von paradis - in the other thread you were saying you had raspberries and strawberries you may be able to share. Do you know what type they are? just wondering b/c i just bought 2 raspberries - i have to check the names tho when i get home. The strawberries I'm interested in do you know if they are everbearing, day-neutral, or june-bearing? I'll try to get the names for my daylilies maybe tomorrow evening. I'm too tired to do it tonight i think.

If i've missed replying to anyone can you please let me know.

Thanks.

21. gardeningfever

gardeningfever Member

eve also, about the thornless blackberries - thanks for your info. It's funny b/c i've also read elsewhere that thornless are BETTER tasting than the thorned. i guess it just depends on the varieties too. I'm really afraid of planting thorned blackberries b/c they seem impossible to remove. My ex-inlaws had a blackberry that they've tried hacking down to stubs only to grow back and engulf their plum tree the following year. I think i may just start with the other berries (raspberries, tayberries?) for now then if the thornless blacks are not really worth it. the tayberries i saw at gardenworks are armed tho.

22. Eve von Paradis

Hello Gardeningfever,

The strawberries I have should be the everbearing ones. I also have the alpine strawberries hiding amidst the everbearing ones. They sometimes pop up in other parts of my garden. I will need to see if I can spot them first before presenting them in my "HAVES" column!

As for my raspberries, I bought several kind in the past and with good intentions to label them, but alas (like many good intentions..), I failed to do so and they are happily growing together in peace and harmony. :)

23. Eve von Paradis

The thornless blackberries I have are called "Black satin"... purchased from Gardenworks. As I said, big and plump but only so-so in taste.

As for the potential takeover that can happen with the thorned blackberries...if one bulids a trellis for them and keep them in there with maintainence pruning, they will behave. In fact, blackberries are not as vigorous in comparison to raspberries with regards to sending out runners.

I have more trouble with my galloping raspberries then I do with my thorned blackberry shrub. Either this Fall for Spring, I intend (alright, this intention goes on top of my garden-to-do list!!) bulid a trellis for my blackberry shrub and ditto for raspberries. I'll be starting a thread on this project when it happens. I have this great trellis/arbor building book which has a particular trellis support design just for blackberries that I intend to use.

24. tiger_lily

I see lots of plants which tempt me, so I will note them here. If you can spare, I would be happy to find them a good home. Hopefully you can also find some plants to tempt you (please don't be shy) on my HAVES list (I finally posted one on the other thread). But please don't worry if they're already spoken for, since I really am blessed with lots of plants already.

Gardeningfever - Your Oxalis "iron cross", Heuchera "mars" and Wooly thyme would be welcome here.

KarinL - I don't have any Hellebores in my garden yet, would love to add.

Candy - Your Magic carpet thyme and Irish moss interest me. (Hmmm, I didn't know there were non-suckering strawberries, don't they all send out runners?)

Eve von Paradis - Your Creeping thyme sounds good for my flagstone project.

Jbutts - Your Euphoriba "Fireglow" and Leptinella "Brass Buttons" sound interesting.

By the way, the Trade will go ahead rain or shine. If sunny, you can unload in the driveway, and haul your plants to the back yard. If rainy, we'll make the garage available for trading. Let's hope it's great weather, like we've been having these past 2 weekends.

25. tiger_lily

By the way, if anyone needs my address, please PM me before Sunday. Look forward to seeing you all, rain or shine.