: ) seeds you have, and seeds you want...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, May 11, 2009.

1. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

OMG omg omg Penny i cant thank you enough wow i just got your seeds and wow soooo many some i never hear of it (thats what happen when u are new) lol I love them thank you. You know i went to the dollar store close to my place last week looking for those bags and they didnt have them :( i have to go to the one close to my old place cause i saw them there. Omg i still in shock of seen so many seeds lol I also got today the ylang ylang and Indian almond seeds :)

2. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Yes, Ron if you have any metal or wood long enough, stick it in the ground and tie the trees to it/them. The rain water wont hurt them so long as you have adequate drainage, but even here with the clay soil nothign dies off so long as I refrain from watering the next few days or even a week after a big storm.

No worries about the seeds from Australia.... Mate. ;)

3. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

You are very welcome Claudia....i am so glad that they got there.

Have fun Googling, and enjoy.

Thats great too that your Ylang Ylang seeds came and the Indian Almond, sounds neat!

4. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Penny!

: O

Did you get those banana plants yet?...

: )

5. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Nothing and it will be 3 weeks tomorrow, i am kind of ready to give up.

6. The Hollyberry Lady

WOW!

Have you told the person that you haven't got them yet?!!! I am shocked that they would take this long!

Do you have a sunny or half sunny area that you could put a banana plant in for the winter? Somewhere warm?

7. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I sure do, i have a couple of places actually where i was going to put them.

I told him as of last week that i still hadnt received anything, he insists that they were mailed on the 8th of September, i hope they show up and soon!

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Sorry about that - the phone rang...

Well, if you will promise to give me your very first pup, I will send you the High Color Mini! I had three, but it is looking like only one is going to make it for me, which Bob said was expected. I already promised you one, and I don't want to disappoint you, so I will send it to you, if you will share it with me later - which I already know you will.

I have many other varieties, and I know I will have this one again - just later. I know you will be a wonderful banana grower, Penny, and I want you to have one so bad.

What will happen if I send it and you do end up getting those other two? Will you still have room?

9. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

How do u gusy store your seeds? like in a box, alphabetically..how

10. robv187

robv187 Member

Hey the palm tree seeds came in today :) i will mail them away most likely tomorrow

11. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Awww thanks Sherry, that would be really sweet.

I would actually have room if and when the other 2 show up(fingers crossed).
    Lets wait until the end of the week and see if the package comes or not and that way you arent sending anything, if you dont need too.

I store my seeds in a couple of produce boxes, the kind that you get at a grocery store, that are wax lined,and have the handles on the sides, i just find the high sides and with it being lined in wax, if i accidentaly spill any seeds, its an easy clean up.

Thats great Rob, who would have thought...palm tree's in Canada huh!!

12. The Hollyberry Lady

I learned some new information last night on the banana forum...

It is actually better to leave the first pups attached to the plant, because it makes the corm stronger and bigger! So, we shouldn't be anxious to start separating pups right at the first of Spring - which might be a disppointment to those of you I promised a pup to. You may have to wait...

Yes, ok, we will wait and see. Not to worry Penny, because in the end, you will receive every banana plant I have! I intend on sharing the pups year after year.

I do hope you get them this week. Usually if things have been confiscated, they send you a slip telling you why. Not to worry. I just have this feeling that they will show up. The corms can survive in the box for quite awhile too, so have faith...

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh Claudia - sorry...

I store my seeds in paper coin envelopes, much like their original packaging, and then I put those in baggies, and then the baggies go inside tupperware, air tight plastic containers at the bottom of my fridge.

14. Gretchen

Gretchen Member

I have Datil pepper seeds. My neighbor has pink clematis, but I'm not sure how to obtain the seeds from it, if that's possible.

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Pepper seeds are inside the fruit, but wait until it's ripe so the seeds will be fully developed.

Clematis seeds are hybrid so I don't think they will be true to the parent plant. They are collected in the Fall - you can see the seedheads where the flowers used to be. You might come up with some interesting varieties if you sprout the seeds...

16. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

I have red clematis seeds (avaible), and I will soon have seeds for Pickeral weed (pictures below) but beter picture of the plant are here: http://images.google.com/images?sou...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1

I store my seeds in an envolope (in the involope are the seeds) and the envolopes are stored in a shoe box, and the shoe box is under my compuder desk...

Attached Files:

17. sunshine1952

sunshine1952 Member

Hey
    Sorry I haven't been on the site for a week. Been extremely busy. I don't remember how to pm, I had actually just joined the site. I'll be happy to send the stamps. Can you email me your address to tardifrhonda@hotmail.com. thanks.

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, who exactly are you talking to, Sunshine1952? You didn't really say...

19. The Hollyberry Lady

If you kept those seeds chilled Blake, they would last way longer for you.

20. robv187

robv187 Member

hi everyone, wow those are nice blake, i'm jealous because your plants always turn out so healthy, you too HBL.

I think sunshine was talking to you hbl but they didn't specify :P

Any new seeds sprout for you? Today i had a lot more seeds come in, 100 dwarf pomengranent and 50 japanese blood good seeds to name a few :)

21. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

Hi Rob, i am also waiting for seeds to come so i can send u guys some, u havent send me your address yet. When i get the seeds i will b making a list and that way u guys can tell me which one u want, i dont really wanna send you something u already have ;)

22. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Morning everyone,

No banana plants again but i did get a Brug cutting(angels trumpet) and a Vinca Vine cutting in the mail yesturday, both from the States and both arrived safely.
    And i also got a bunch of new seeds, havent really looked at them yet though, i had company pop in yesturday afternoon and just set them on the table.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  23. The Hollyberry Lady

Great about your cuttings and new seeds, Penny. Now when you say "Brug" cuttings, are you talking about Brugmansia? Yesterday, I received four different kinds of Brugmansia cuttings, but I am not sure what they are yet. Gonna google them today...

She also sent two kinds of dwarf fig tree cuttings, as well! I am especially thrilled about growing them. She says she's been keeping hers in a pot for years, and that they produce crop after crop of delicious figs!!!

How cool is that? So thrilled to have them. I am rooting them in a glass of water, as I was advised this is the best way. We'll see...

24. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Yep, thats the one Sherry, i let my water stand overnight because of the chlorene, or you can use boiled water and be sure to change the water out at least every other day on the Brug cutting.

Not sure of the color of mine, but i think its a pale pink color.
    I traded some seeds with a lady and asked for 2 kinds of Amaranthus from her, i got 19 different kids of amaranthus from her as well as poppies.....talk about being shocked!
    I have Cosmo's galore, so if anyone needs some, let me know!!!

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Not to worry, Penny. If they don't come, you will be mailed the High Color Mini. You won't be able to give me your for first pup though, because it makes the plant and corm stronger if you leave the pups intact for a few months or maybe more - gotta find out the specifics.

You can give me a pup back when it is a good time and the plant is ready to have them removed. We are not going to rush this - I want to do it the right way.

Your little guy is pushing up it's first leaf now Penny, but just barely. I want to make sure it is in active growth so it will make the trip just fine. I will be mailing it on a Sunday night late, so you get it that same week. I just love to mail plants, and I even enjoy packaging them up, and making sure they're secure. I will likely mail your little puppy, in a plastic container of some kind.

When you get it, pot it up right away, and put it in bright light, but no direct sun until you see it's beginning to grow - in about 7 days. Then gradually build it up to full-sun - or even part-sun.

They really are not that difficult to grow, overall. I find them quite easy. I was worrying about my Siam Ruby because it started turning a bit brown on the stem, before it is even getting going yet - but Bob told me that I would pretty much have to stomp up and down on the corm to kill it!!! I am no longer worried, after hearing this.