Buying Thuja Green Giants in Lower Mainland?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by blazespinnaker, Sep 25, 2009.

1. blazespinnaker

blazespinnaker Member

Anyone know where I might be able to purchase these for a fair price?

Cheers,

Blaze.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Should plant more attractive Thuja plicata instead anyway. The hybrid is more coarse and useful primarily for providing something of the effect of T. plicata in regions unsuited to it.

3. blazespinnaker

blazespinnaker Member

Thanks Ron. Do you know if plicata grows as quickly and as a high as the green giants? I need something super high.

The thing I've found around here is the smaragd.

4. Ron B

The native should if anything grow faster and definitely becomes a large tree. In fact, on suitable sites under suitable circumstances it becomes a giant tree.

5. blazespinnaker

blazespinnaker Member

Thanks again!

I'd still love to know where I could purchase the green giants if anyone knows.

Cheers,

Blaze.

6. Ron B

Now - perhaps somewhat unfortunately - common at outlets here. Have you made some phone calls? Maybe a "fair" price for you would be obtained through location of any one gallon stock that may be on offer in your service area. I have seen these here.

7. blazespinnaker

blazespinnaker Member

Well, not just price but quality too. I've seen some hedge resellers that sell pretty roughed up specimens that you only discover until driving out to see them.

I've also found that some guys will resell hedges but don't advertise particularly well. For example, they sell out of the back of their truck. Basically they drive to big quality farms and then deliver to door steps. Low costs for them, low costs for you.