Flushing out citrus container

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by tonyd, Sep 27, 2009.

1. tonyd

tonyd Member

I have just potted my citrus that i recieved and have been doing some reading, there is so much. If i'm supposed to flush the pots 3-4 times per year, I guess i should skip winter when they are not activley growing? Is rain water best or should i use some other type?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Will you trees be warm and indoors in winter? They will only stop growing if left somewhere constantly below 60F and dark. They will actively grow under other conditions.

3. tonyd

tonyd Member

Well, i checked the root temp today and it was 71. I will not be doing anything to keep them warm unless temp gets damgerously low. They will only get whatever light filters into the halway.

4. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

If they are going to be indoors and warm (71 is warm enough for roots to function) it will need more than filtered light in a hallway. It will continue to grow actively, perhaps a bit slower due to shorter days. You may need to water slightly less often. I would put it in a bright area - shorter days means it will appreciate good sun when it can get it. I would still flush the pot - I flush once every couple of months even in winter.

5. tonyd

tonyd Member

Thank for the help, The plants get sun all day long, just not direct sunlight if that makes sense. Do you think this is ok?

6. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

If it is by a window it should be fine. If it is set a few feet away, it probably won't be fine.