Small yellow capsules in succulent soil: eggs? or fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by aelennox, Sep 25, 2009.

1. aelennox

aelennox Member

I recently re-potted 3 succulents that I bought at a grocery store. They all came in one little pot and after a few months I decided they needed their own space. I am now noticing in all 3 new pots that there are little yellow round capsules on the top of the soil. I broke one and it was sort of hard, and almost reminded me of an egg. I am wondering if these capsules are actually some kind of pest egg? I found a couple posts on Google about others who found similar capsules, but everyone told them they were part of the soils fertilizer. I am not sure how this would be possible, since they were not there when I planted the succulents and have just appeared in the last couple of days. Does anybody have any clue what this might be?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Was it hard all the way through? Eggs are soft in the middle ;-)

3. kinghedes

kinghedes Active Member

sometimes them little fert things can be hard to see you could try and compare them to other capsule in other soils if you find some soil that has them

4. bcsister

bcsister Active Member

I know the fertilizer that most seem to be talking about.... I, too crack the "little balls" open every time I see them because I'm still not that experienced.
    I HAVE seen the EGGS you are referring to, as well. I think they are from the bug I call a wood or potato bug. My dad calls them rolly-polly's because they curl up into a perfect ball if touched.

Usually, if i see any liquid inside, i bet on a bug.
    reading the response above, though... "is it hard in the middle?"

makes me ask this:

Does that mean the fertilizer is supposed to be a solid sphere?