: ) seeds you have, and seeds you want...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, May 11, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Yes, Penny, I feel the same - to give is actually to receive, because it makes you feel really good. I enjoy sharing.

Great that you have so many seeds to collect! Don't ya just love this time of year?!!! Me too. Halloween is coming up, which is one of my favorites.

: )

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. robv187

robv187 Member

You got them today too? Great!! You're very welcome hbl, any time. In the next month i'll send some more seeds too, i have so many varities now. Maybe an aloe plant (mixed) so you can grow your very own aloe vera.

Just knowing you and penny are happy is enough for me :) about the germinating, i would love and be very appreciative if you could try the banana plant and the japanese magnolia tree please. Only have 5 and 6 seeds of each and don't trust myself LOL. I know there is always the chance they won't germinate, but if anyone can do it, it's you.

Have to go because i have 2 classes still, but i'm really happy the seeds came in okay.

3. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

Good morning to all, i can relate to u guys now on how exciting is to wait for a package lol Every day when i check the mail i am hoping i see a seeds envelope :) I found some intereting chillies so i hope i get them soon.....yeah right, i hate waiting lol Whats the name of those one u have Sherry? the one that r multicolor. U guys should start telling me what seeds would u like from the list i post that i am getting so i can try to make every one happy :) specially some that they only send u 10 or 5 gggrrrr lol

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Thanks HBL for the seeds,

I am so looking forward to spring next year you would'nt believe.

Penny, be quick and post to my letterbox lolol

HBL, I will look for a seed for the venus fly trap if I see any I will send them on.

5. The Hollyberry Lady

That's great Rob - thanks for clarification on the seeds you want germinated. I appreciate your strong faith in me, and I will give it my very best shot, but I just don't want either of us to have any expectations, so then we won't be dissapointed, ok?

Banana seeds can be extremely difficult, and if they are old seeds, all the more difficult, if not downright impossible! Sorry to say, but it's the truth. Let's hope that these seeds are fresh and viable.

I use the best quality seed sprouting pro-mix you can buy, to germinate my seeds in, so they will have an excellent shot of success. This time of year, when things are cooler, my heat mat will also come in handy, to keep the soil nice and toasty.

I will sow both the banana and the Japanese Magnolia seeds this afternoon. Wait a minute...

JAPANESE MAGNOLIA?!!!

: O

OMG - it didn't cross my mind until now...do you know how fragrant that tree will be?!!! That is one super awesome seed to have, Rob. I will try my damndest to pop these babies into little trees. This is so fun, and I just love a challenge.

I have successfully germinated Colorado Blue Spruce tree seeds before, and they were not easy. I had to sow them in little pots which were kept in the freezer for three months to simulate Winter, and then very gradually given sunlight on a warm sill, until they sprouted. It was tough, and I had a lot of failures, before finally getting it right. One of the toughest seeds I've ever sprouted.

Yes, I am very happy with the seeds you sent. Thank you very much. How kind. I am sure Penny is delighted too. Enjoy your classes, Rob. Chat later...

6. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, I am excited about Spring myself, Katalina.

You are welcome for the seeds. So glad I could provide you with your favorite (calendula). I grew that one last year, and it was so pretty. My aunt just loves them also. Triange Flashback is not an easy variety to acquire, so I was glad to order them - from the USA.

Ok Claudia - do you mean 'Masquerade' hot pepper? Would you like me to send it to you? Let me know what of mine you are interested in...

7. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Hi all,

I am postitive that in the envelope that i sent you Claudia, there are a few kinds of peppers, both hot and not.
    Hopefully you should get that today or tomorrow at the latest.

8. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes Caudia - I have that one too. I can send it to ya.

10. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

oh so they are diferent?

11. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

That is a little cutie isnt it Claudia.

Oh darn, i was hoping that it would be today that the envelope came, well there's always tomorrow.

12. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, I have Chilly Chili and Masqerade both. I cand send ya them as well as a few others...

14. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

That will b great, oh i love u lol i will send u guys stuff too..i am still waiting for lots :)

15. The Hollyberry Lady

No problem, Claudia. Sounds like Penny has set you up with some cool ones too. Penny has some amazing pepper varieties also, and totally floored me once, with a type I had been wanting for a long time - Black Pearl! Will never forget that.

Yes, you will like these two types a lot, Claudia. I will send you another extremely ornamental type that is my all-time favorite ornamental pepper - 'Aurora'. I showed pics of it above, but these pic shows it more when it's maturing...

Attached Files:

16. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

17. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

U guys have to pm me with your addresses and your wish list of what i will b getting :)

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh my goodness - I want all three!!!

: O

That Lemon one sounds awesome. Ok, pm-ing you now...

By the way, Rob, I have the banana seeds soaking in water and the Magnolia tree seeds are in the fridge for a 4 week cold stratification period. They will come out of the fridge on Oct. 24th, to go on my heat mat, and it may take another month after that even, before they pop. Banana seeds can take three months! So I hope you're patient...

I have had some black sweet cherry seeds cold stratifying in the fridge since July 10th, and I just took them out tonight and placed them on my heat mat. So excited to get little cherry trees. Same with some Japanese Red Maple tree seeds from Tugrul. They are out of the fridge today too, after many, many cold weeks. We'll see what happens...

19. robv187

robv187 Member

Hey everyone, just about to go to bed lol, absolutely exhausted, but wanted to reply first.

Thank you so much HBL, i really appreciate this more then i can say. Wow i didn't know that about japanese magnolia!! Are they really that fragrant? I know they are beautiful trees, i would love to have one. Please feel free to keep all the other seeds for yourself okay. Are japanese magnolias usually easy to germinate? I know the seller said he had tested them and his germinated. Unfortunately i don't have a heating mat or even an indoor light system, not even sure if my soil is as good as yours LOL. I trust you and have faith that you're the best person for the job. Thanks again :) and hope all the seeds turn out great for you. I'll send more by mid october, probably more random things! :P

Claudia, i'm so happy for you, that's great, i wouldn't mind a few pepper seeds haha, i will definately send you some things on my next trip to the post office.

20. The Hollyberry Lady

I can set you up with many pepper seeds, Rob - no problems there! Not sure if Magnolia tree seeds are hard to pop - we'll see. I know I have the best things to offer a seed, so if they don't sprout I usually dismiss them as duds instead of finding fault in my seed sprouting methods! How arrogant of me, huh?!!!

No, but seriously, when a seed doesn't sprout for me, I usually know it if it's something I did wrong, but when conditions are perfect, I know it's the seeds. Some seeds can take an extremely long time to come up as well, so patience and being able to keep the soil moist for many months is a real advantage.

Are you kidding me? Magnolia flowers are heavenly scented. A lot of perfumes are made from magnolia extacts as well. Oh yes, very fragrant indeed.

21. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

Got your pm HBL :) I know those chillies are sure something diferent, i dont have a heating pat or indoor lightning but i should start looking for it cause cold times are just around the corner and i am putting my babies inside. I just came back from home depot and got 2 huge bags of potting soil, i am gonna fill my big plastic container, i have to make holes on the bottom first, put some rocks then the soil and then i wanna start playing lol I wanna do potatoes, onions, maybe carrots, celery, garlic..oh boy thats lots lol Have u guys heard of the walking onions? they are also known as egyptian onions

22. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Hi everyone,

I would love a few of those peppers Claudia, the lemon one looks too cool.

I honestly cant remember what all i sent, but i know there are about 20 individual packages in your envelope and i know that some were peppers, what, i just cant remember.

I have some seeds from Egyptian Walking Onions, they are a couple years old, if you want to try some, i can send you some, i havent planted them.

The longest that i have ever had to wait for anything to sprout was just under 5 months, and that was my Bird of Paradise from seed, i babied that thing along and was certain that i had done somthing wrong, and finally it sprouted, and its doing great now, its a slow grower, but i know what size it was when it first sprouted.

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Excellent on your bird of paradise seed, Penny! Good for you.

No Claudia, a heat mat isn't necessary to germinate seeds with but it sure helps a lot - especially with the cold weather approaching fast.

24. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Thats so true, i only have 1 heat mat but i plan on buying a couple more to have, especially for when it gets cold.

I brought in a small planted pot i had outside yesturday, it had patunia's, marigolds and i added my lobelia that i grew from seed this year, and its sitting on a table at the front window with lots of sun.

25. Claudia6

Claudia6 Member

A friend gave me some of the walking onions this year and they are in a pot, they are growing nicely, not walking yet tho lol i was told that maybe i will c some onions next year