New plants on the way.

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by tonyd, Sep 21, 2009.

1. tonyd

tonyd Member

So i have a keylime/ dwarf banana and pink lemon coming. The banana is no biggie as i've grown them with success, however, the other 2 are a different story- long one.

I have a hallway between south and north facing windows. There is never any direct heat/sunlight but it's lit from sunrise to sundown.

Would this be suitable for my 2 citrus? Should i do anything special when the get here in 2 days?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. jake007

jake007 Member

Re: New plants in the way.

most citruses don't like indoors more sunny and hot but i am not sure of yours.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: New plants in the way.

Citrus were native to SE Asia, where they grew as under story trees, beneath the taller native trees of the area. Citrus require light, water and nutrients for photosynthesis. However,the process of photosyntheses by citrus maximizes at 650 PAR. Higher light levels are not beneficial for the production of additional photosynthates. 650 PAR is approximately 1/3 of full sunlight. Therefore, if you provide artificial light your tree should do OK (not excellent by OK). During warm weather you can take the tree outside. The NUMBER ONE consideration for containerized citrus is to insure that the growth medium (potting soil) has EXCELLENT drainage. You can find a lot of information on this forum about the type of growth mediums required by citrus. Good luck, and enjoy your trees. - Millet (1,213-)

4. tonyd

tonyd Member

So I want 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 sand & 1/3 general potting soil? I also want a pot that is wider and not deeper when transplanting for the first time?

5. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Active Member

Millet recommended chc, which is coconut husk chips for my new Meyer lemon tree and it has worked out extremely well, my tree is growing like crazy in that medium. It can be hard to buy in small quantities so I went to the pet store and bought this...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3092177

Just soak them in a bucket overnight with a tbsp. of epsom salt which can be picked up at any pharmacy for a dollar or so. Mix the medium as 4 parts chc and 1 part peat moss.

They also have these available....

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752434&keepsr=0&clickid=prod_cs

...but the chips are much smaller and you don't get as much for your money.

Hope that helps.

6. tonyd

tonyd Member

Am I doing all coconut husk?

7. Ray from PA

I don't know. Are you?

8. tonyd

tonyd Member

Well did you?

9. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

1/3 peat moss, 1/3 sand & 1/3 general potting soil would be a horrible growth medium for a citrus tree. Most all commercial potting soils are 98 percent peat moss . If you add a general potting soil to 1/3 peat moss that would make a growth medium of almost all peat moss. If you use CHC, a good formula would be 4 parts CHC and 1 or 2 parts peat moss. I also have some tree growing in pure CHC (50 percent 1/2 inch CHC mixed with 50 percent 1/4 inch CHC.) - Millet (1,211-)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  10. Ray from PA

As stated in my previous post, I used a medium made from 4 parts chc/1 part peat moss.

Good luck with your plants.

11. tonyd

tonyd Member

Plants arrived, great condition with fruit on the trees. I took the husk recommendations and all seems well. Now to make sure my 2year old daughter doesn't pick all the fruit like last time. Who knows what else she waters them with.

Thanks for the help again, hopefully i won't need anymore (not likely though)

12. roachslayer

roachslayer Member

haha! I am discovering that kids (1-3) and indoor trees dont mix. This is going to be an interesting winter.

13. tonyd

tonyd Member

The lemons start off purple so they are the hardest to keep away from my daughter. Btw, they are growing great and I think it's due to the coconut husk. It's the only thing I've done differently

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009