Sooty Mold on Crepe Myrtles

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by smartbuyfurn, Aug 6, 2005.

1. smartbuyfurn

smartbuyfurn Member

Last year I planted 2 Crepe Myrtle trees beside the steps to my deck. This year they were doing great until I had a serious battle with Japenese Beetles. I had to spray them with liquid Seven on 5 or 6 different ocasions. Finally I got rid of the *** Beetles, then not long after a sooty mold apeared on some of the branches and has now spreaded throughout both trees. Is this the spercies of tree that is causing this? I am worried it will happen every year. Also now the trees draw lots of bees. flies and tiny bugs, it is a constant swarm of all kinds of them. They have very light lavender leaves and the top bark is grey with orange underneath, at first I thought they were Apalochee but from what I have read they don't have these problems as bad. Thanks, Reggie

2. rxbristol

rxbristol Member

Hi Reggie,

There is good news--sooty mold is not pathogenic (feeding off your plants) but is getting its food from insect droppings called honeydew. This is the sweet stuff secreted by insects like aphids, mealy bugs, and whiteflies. The mold spores are blown in and adhere to the honeydew where they find a great place to feed and reproduce. The key is control of the insects that are pooping on your plants.

The bark is exfoliation is normal and part of the crepe myrtle beauty.

Rex

3. smartbuyfurn

smartbuyfurn Member

Hi Rex, Do you or anyone have any suggestions for the best methods of controling these varments? Thanks, Reggie

4. rxbristol

rxbristol Member

I'm not a big fan of a lot of pesticides but my favorite is ordinary horticultural soap. You'll probably have to order it off the web as most stores will not carry it. It is far superior to ordinary house soap because dish soap will have a tendency to burn your plants. I follow the mixing directions and use it in a pump sprayer. I normally only have to use it in the spring when aphids are at their peak.

Rex