Help Identifying Garden Plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dapperma, Aug 6, 2005.

1. dapperma

dapperma Member

Hi.. I am located in Pennsylvania - USA and my brother has this unusual (at least for us it is) plant growing in his garden. Not sure if it was grown from seed or bulb. It grows very quickly, has white flowers that opens during the morning hours then closes - kind of resembling a morning glory. The spikes are very unique and we are trying to identify this plant. Can anyone help? I attached some pictures though not sure if they will all show up. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone.

Marti

Attached Files:

2. rxbristol

rxbristol Member

This looks like a Datura but I'm not sure of the species. This a very beautiful plant but highly dangerous to kids who want to experiment. Several people die in this country every year because of the fine line between its hallucinogenic properties and serious illness and death.

Rex

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Common name Jimson Weed.

4. dapperma

dapperma Member

Thanks u 2 for helping out. My bro doesn't remember planting this - is it something that could of "blown in" from somewhere? The lil' research I have done so far says this thing can grow 5-6 feet. His already is at least 6 1/2 feet? Should he expect it to continue growing? Thanks again for all your input. It is much appreciated.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Came with another plant or got there by other means.

6. rxbristol

rxbristol Member

I also had one mysterious appear one year. I can only assume it was deposited by a bird. The foliage and flowers are so spectacular that I always have at least one growing in the garden. Mine usually grow about 5-6' high by 8-10' wide. It is one of the few plants that never wither in intense heat and tolarates dry conditions.

Rex