Pine Tree surrounded by Mushrooms!

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Dutchman, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman Active Member 10 Years

I have a young Afgan Pine tree Pinus eldarica planted 16 months ago. I've noticed a number of white mushrooms sprouting up all around it about 6 to 10 inches from the trunk. One is 5 inches across. Is there any danger of these mushrooms causing a problem for the tree? Any chance of someone knowing what kind of Mushrooms these are? In living here 24 years this is only the second time I've seen these Mushrooms and the last time was many years ago growing away from any tree or bush. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

No problem. Those are not disease-causing fungi. More likely symbiotic mycorrhizal fungi, which are good for tree growth.

3. Dutchman

Thanks for the 'peace of mind'. I just wasn't sure and I haven't seen anything growing near what I've planted except for this incidence.

4. Northpolegardener

Northpolegardener Member

Looks like Macrolepiota procera....not easy to look at the pic and be sure if it is but if it's a really good one for the cousine...anyway it's harmless for the tree....Jonny

5. Dutchman

Thanks for the reply and the scientific name. I looked it up and it is Macrolepiota procera. I went outside, but it doesn't have the double rings around the stem. The stem is already black. But now I see there are more growing nearby,