Gwen's Rose Delight

Discussion in 'Maples' started by bford17, Sep 11, 2009.

1. bford17

bford17 Member

I wanted to share a newly planted Japanese Maple. I picked this beauty up for $45 dollars a couple of weeks back. I am looking forward to what it will look like in a couple of years. Being in Houston, I am also anxious to see how this tree will handle the heat. The spot I chose should get lots of sun from sunrise to about 2, which then it will be shaded by the house.

Also, Do any of you have recommendations for the root that is exposed. It was like this in the pot when I bought it and I wasnt sure if I should bury it completely or if it would be alright to leave exposed a little as seen in the pictures. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

good choise !good level of root !don't touch,but put around the trunk pine bark
    ciao

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Root needs some soil over the part below the crown but main thing is plant has hardly any leaves - that is not right for this time of year.

4. bford17

bford17 Member

Ron,

I just planted like 3 days before I took the picture, so no real time for leafs to grow. Also, I live in Houston, which had a very very very hot and dry summer. Maples will not do well in the heat while in nursery pots especially when they are probably sitting in the middle of a lot or something. Many times down here, they will strip the burnt crispy leaves to allow for new ones to come in, which is most likely the case as to why there are few leaves..Thanks for your comment though

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If the top got cooked the roots probably did also. Not a good way to start out with a new plant. The condition of a plant at planting is critical to how it establishes and develops later.

6. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Not necessarily. As shown in the pics of the 'Survivors!!' thread, many Japanese maples grown under hot sun will have their leaves fried by end of August with often a new flush in September. These maples will grow normally the next Spring. It is like that every year. Hot climate gardening has its own particularities.

Gomero

7. bford17

bford17 Member

Yeah, I look at this tree pretty regularly and seems to be doing fine with new leaf production. I am not concerned about the roots being damaged and will be looking forward to the spring when it should really take off. Thanks for your comments