Video walk through the New Zealand bush

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Caryota gigas, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Caryota gigas

Caryota gigas Member

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum but have something that might interest some of you.

Below is a link to a video I took in the native bush in New Zealand. It mainly focuses on New Zealands only native palm, Rhopalostylis sapida.

Arataki Bush walk

This is the first in what I hope will be a series of short virtual bush walks.

Any feedback appreciated.

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

This is a nice idea but probably a few more labels would help. By the way what are the tree ferns at the look out?
    Just another query. Is the "????" that is killing the Kauri the same problem we have here killing Eucalypts??

Ta
    Liz

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  3. Caryota gigas

Caryota gigas Member

Hi Liz,
    The film was originally done for palm lovers, so I didnt bother labelling plants as I knew that would quickly get out of hand, with so many things to name. Perhaps I will add a few...

The tree ferns on the walk are Cyathea dealbata (silver fern), Dicksonia squarrosa, and Cyathea medullaris (Black tree fern, Mamaku)

The problem with Agathis australis (Kauri) is due to Phytophthora taxon agathis, indicating it will only affect species of the Agathis genera. I doubt it has anything to do with any problem you have with Eucalypts in Oz.
    But then again so little is known about it at present.

Here is some more info on Phytophthora taxon agathis;

Also known as PTA, this disease is threatening the health of kauri trees in the Auckland region.
    Kauri dieback is caused by a pathogen (a disease-causing agent) known as Phytophthora taxon Agathis
    (PTA). Until April 2008 it had not been identified as a new species, nor was it known that PTA killed
    kauri.
    Symptoms include yellowing of foliage, canopy thinning, dead branches and tree death. Affected trees
    can also develop lesions that bleed resin. It kills kauri of all ages and sizes.
    The disease has been found in the Waitakere Ranges and is under observation at Cascade Kauri,
    Karekare, Anawhata and Huia. It was first reported by local residents on the Maungaroa Ridge Track
    near Piha in 2006. The latest observations were made by Dr Nick Waipara (ARC Biosecurity) and Dr
    Ross Beever (Landcare Research).
    The disease has also been found at Great Barrier Island, and isolated from soil at Trounson Kauri Park
    in the Waipoua Forest, Northland. Recently it has also been found on land in Rodney District and North
    Shore City.
    PTA is a soil-borne disease, spread by soil and soil-water movement, plant to plant transmission
    through underground root-to-root contact, and human and animal vectors (a vector is an organism that
    carries or spreads disease-causing micro organisms).
    Kauri dieback is also known as collar rot, which refers to the bleeding lesions at the bottom of the tree
    trunk.
    Its closest known relative is a chestnut pathogen from Korea (Phytophthora katsurae). It is believed
    that PTA is an exotic pathogen, possibly tropical in origin. However nothing at all is known about this
    particular species overseas.
    There are significant information gaps about the disease, its vectors and management options.
    Although kauri damage has only recently been discovered, the disease may have been present in New
    Zealand for many years, as symptoms may take years to become apparent.
    More research is urgently needed into the biology, pathology and management of PTA, the extent of
    PTA in northern New Zealand, its vectors of spread and possible control methods.
    ARC is funding initial research until national funding can be obtained. Landcare Research and ARC
    have agreed on a two-year research programme to fill in necessary knowledge gaps, including a
    delimitation survey of where the disease is present in the Auckland region, its vectors of spread, and
    preliminary work on control of the disease.

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Interesting info ta. . Can I ask are the dogs feet washed at the beginning of the walk too. :) I was amazed that he would be allowed into a forest area. Here they are banned because of the native animals. The fern looked a bit like one I have here that seems self propagating. (NOT Dicksonia antarctica) plenty of them up the road.

Liz

5. Caryota gigas

Caryota gigas Member

Rusty (the dog) is allowed as the Waitakere Ranges are run by the ARC. If they were run by DoC then he would not be allowed. People are always trying to ban dogs from everything here and it is pathetic. NZ is different from Oz in that we have no native mammals (apart from bats that no-one ever sees) so the only thing that a dog is likely to get is a Kiwi, and they are not found in Auckland. I for one hope dogs are never banned in the Waitakere Ranges... there will be a lot of irrate people if this were to happen, and they would just flaunt the rules.
    And no, Rustys feet were not washed. I am not going to spray an unknown chemical on my dogs feet, besides... it will never work. They only introduced that system there the day before I took the vid... bit late now... the trees are already dying... and they have known that for a couple of years now.
    If you watch the begining again you may notice something else about the feet cleaning...
    I went back a week later and the bottles and brushes were untouched still... not many people have faith in the ARC's methods.

6. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

The Grandfather and Great Grandfather Kauri trees were one of the most astonishing sights I ever saw in the Waitakere Ranges Regional Park. Certainly they were the largest diameter trees I have ever encountered.

Unfortunately, most of the trees were destroyed during the nineteenth century for resin and boat deck timbers, amongst other uses. The few remaining are a national treasure and hopefully will be preserved.

I might add the Great White Pine in Ontario and Michigan suffered the same fate as the NZ kauri tree.

7. Caryota gigas

Caryota gigas Member

Its hard to believe that something so small, can destroy something so big!

8. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Bug fighting is a constant battle. New ones attack me every year.