Prunning Tips of Raspberry Canes?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by LeonaS, Sep 13, 2009.

1. LeonaS

LeonaS Member

My raspberry canes are propped up with wire strands that are attached to tee posts. The wires that are strung across are at 3 ft and 5 ft high. My raspberry canes are so tall that even when I tie them up to the wire they still flop over.

Can I prune the tips of the canes without causing damage to the cane?

If I do this will I have less fruit?

Thanks a lot,

Leona

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Try searching raspberries pruning on the internet.

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

One thing I know for sure is that you cannot prune the tops of raspberries..

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I don't know how they prune raspberries in Ontario, but here in coastal BC there is no problem pruning the ends of new canes to a reasonable height. I prune the more vigorous canes at least twice: once to about 7 feet or so during the growing season and then down to 6 feet during the dormant season. Pruning during the growing season induces side shoots to grow. These side shoots will produce berries next year and may be pruned off, pruned back, or left, depending on how many berries you want from that cane. If there are enough main canes, it's probably best to remove the side shoots to prevent the production of too many small berries. This applies to "June-bearing" raspberries, which I assume are the type being discussed. Everbearing varieties are treated differently.

5. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Anytime, I have cut the tops of raspberries I had a dead cane next year. But I will bow to superior knowledge.

6. LeonaS

LeonaS Member

Thank you Vitog for the information on pruning. I inherited the raspberries patch when I bought our house. I stumbled upon the previous owner the other day and she told me that she had planted Tulameen and Qualicum berries which are summer bearing. Now that I know what kind they are I willl follow your advise.

LeonaS

7. scottg

scottg Active Member

I cut my everbearing raspberries back to about 2 - 4" off the ground last February and they are all about 6' tall now and supplying a bountiful harvest for me. They became ripe first week of Sept and are still going strong....

8. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Do all ever-bearing raspberries fruit so late?

D

9. scottg

scottg Active Member

The prior year I did not Prune these at all and I had the "ever-bearing" situation throughout the summer much earlier. I like this way much better. Here it is October 5th and I will be picking the most and best quality berries today, they are heavy and sweet.. Kinda nice to have at this time of the year.