Viburnum Leaf Beetle (Pyrrhalta viburni) control

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Durgan, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Viburnum Leaf Beetle (Pyrrhalta viburni) control

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XKTMT 17 September 2009 Viburnum Leaf Beetle (Pyrrhalta viburni) control
    This pest devastated my European snowball (Viburnum) bushes in the Spring of 2009. Originally from Europe and Asia, established breeding populations were first recorded in 1978 in the Ottawa-Hull area. Attempting to preempt an attack in 2010 spraying with a mixture of lime sulfur and horticulture oil was commenced. This is about the only commercial insecticide in my arsenal. Pictures depict the procedure undertaken. Does it work? Spring of 2010 will be the time for evaluation.

2. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

That is quite the sprayer you have there Durgan.:)

This pest is very common here on the south west coast. I have had partial control by applying your same mixture during the egg stage. I would opt for even a second dormant treatment if this is your choice of control. In my opinion suffocation with the oil is likely more effective then burning with the sulphur at this stage due to the casing the eggs are covered with.

Being that you are treating a plant on your own property you are able to monitor the plant regularly during the larvae and adult stages. Applying the same mixture at these times can prove to be more effective.

High pressure water spraying can loosen the egg sack and well as knock the adults off, but does nothing to the larvae. They seem to hold on tight! Jim.

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Your views fit in with mine. The sprayer is home made. I pump up air pressure with a small unit that is in the shed, also it can be hand pumped. At 60 PSI and 3/4 full of liquid I never run out of pressure. Those plastic ones drove me crazy.
    Here is the construction of the unit.
    http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YJTPX 19 March 2009 Spray can for garden use.