Summer grafts dying

Discussion in 'Maples' started by banjoboy, Sep 13, 2009.

1. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

So my of summer grafts leaf out (still in the plastic bags) and look healthy then the leaves turn black and die. Sometimes after they die they get a fuzzy mold on them. any idea why this is happening and how i can save the remaining grafts?
    oh, they are in shade. i have been grafting for about 3 years successfully and have never had this problem.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

You need to treat them with a fungicide. A hot, steamy plastic bag is an ideal environment for mold and fungi.

3. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

Originally when i added moisture to the bags i did it with an organic fungicide. Do you typically open the bags and add more? If so, what kind do you use?

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I use Bayer Systemic. I don't open the bags to add anything. They are closed until I take them off permanently.

5. Galt

Galt Active Member

It have also seen the bags opened on the bottom end within a couple of weeks of grafting or only secured at one end from the start. For summer grafts you can also try a paraffin tape or wax so that you don't have to worry about the bags. I find that using the paraffin tape and misting or overhead watering a few times a day to be much easier and less troublesome for summer grafting.

You can also push summer grafting back to very late August or the first part of September in most parts of Oregon so that you don't have to fight the heat. You may get a small bud push before winter, but your primary growth will come in the following spring. you need to make sure the rootstock is well prepared and fertilized before grafting so that you are ready for spring. the other option is to push them through the first winter in a greenhouse preventing dormancy.................hmmmm.

Best Regards.

6. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

Thanks for the tips Galt. I already use paraffin tape and have been meaning to set up a misting system. I just never knew how often i needed to have it come on. Do you have them in a green house with a mister or can you just have them in a shady location?

7. Galt

Galt Active Member

I had them in a greenhouse with some shade cloth and usually fully open and ventilated for the summer months. I just used a simple sprinkler timer and misted 3 times a day with overhead mist. It seemed fine. If you are using the bags, then usually the shade is fine or under shade cloth, but make sure not to leave the bags closed to long. If the rootstock is in good shape (this is the key), the grafts will begin to knit and push pretty quickly in the summer.

8. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have a couple questions about summer grafts, too. I have 4 that have been grafted for over a month. The joints themselves had some of the same look (fungus-like), but the buds looked good. Last weekend I sprayed them with a fungicide as mentioned. They look better, no more fuzz. The buds still look good and I have started taking the plastic off the cutting box I had them in to acclimate them. How long before you can feel you have a successful graft? How long does it take before there are signs of healing/growth of the scion and rootstock bonding together? Also, I will be storing them in the garage with my others this winter. At what temp. do they need to come in? Earlier than any of my other potted acers? I've never gotten this far before with any grafts. I don't want to mess things up now.
    Kay Dye

9. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

I wish i could help you out more. All i can say is sometimes my grafts push new growth within 3-4 weeks and sometimes (especially this year) they take longer. I have notice that this year a lot of mine seem to have healed and the buds look like they are ready to open but they don't. I'm hoping that they will survive the winter and leaf out next spring.
    As far as bringing them inside. The only time i bring my maples inside is when the temperature gets below 25 or 20. I may build a small greenhouse this year to put all my newly grafted maples in. Ask me in the spring and i'll tell you how it turned out for me.