container gardening.

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by sandpebbles, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

There's just something not right about them... Maybe, just maybe, I could allow myself to eat one if it truly were "as sweet as candy."

That friend I said had some "good" cherry tomatoes said his suck, so you may be right after all. You better send me the sweetest little bugger you got so I can find out for sure.

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Yes, Sandpebbles, the "Masquerade" peppers are edible - and quite hot too! I am in love with this pepper plant. Here's some more shots I took of it, but first, My "Aurora" just getting started...

: )

P.S. I will post shots of the Masquerade next...

Attached Files:

3. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Kamiry, it'd be best to root a cutting from your friend's tomato plant, that would ensure great tasting tomatoes!

I don't think the pot type matters, but any other advice is best from HBL, she's the pepper queen. :)

4. The Hollyberry Lady

No problem Zac - I'll make you a tomato lover yet. Even if you hate them, one day you may wake up and remember the taste that you supposedly 'hated' and all of a sudden crave it! This is when your tastebuds change.

I used to feel about onions, the way you feel about tomatoes - now I can't live without them! It can happen just like that, when you get into your early 20's...

Reverse too - used to devour olives when I was a kid by the jar fulls - now I can't stand them!

Ok Sandpebbles - here's more shots of the Masquerade plant...

P.S. I will add tomatoes to your list Zac, so I can mail them later when you choose some more stuff...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  5. Kamiry

Kamiry Member

Interesting, thanks Shearme. I'm not positive that my gardening skills are quite up to that. My only success with getting cuttings to root was entirely accidental, but hey, it's worth a shot right?

6. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I hope I don't hate olives when I grow up, or pickles for that matter! I can eat the sourest pickle like no one's business! :O

Maybe next year I should grow some cucumbers and make soem home-brewed pickle juice to soak them in.

Heck yeah, Kamiry, without trying you wont have practice and will never get it done! Pick up some rooting hormone if you haven't already got some; they carry it at home depot and possibly at lowes too. The internet is always an option for that stuff as well! ;)

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh, those are "Explosive Amber" Kamiry - sorry, just saw your post now! Here they are, ripening up for me this week...

P.S. I will advise you in a minute on what to do about growing food indoors in winter -which I have plenty experience at, but for now, use light colored plastic pots so they don't heat up too much. Dark pots attract hot sun and boil the roots. You can use clay pots, but they tend to dry out quicker than plastic.

Although in winter, this may be a blessing, because you don't want your veggie plants sitting around in soggy wet pots.

Anyway, here is my Explosive Amber...

Attached Files:

8. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Ha, nice burrito's tail. ^_^

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Kamiry:

Although there are some early ripening varieties, it is mostly contingent on how much sunshine the plants receive!

Growing food indoors can be rewarding if you can provide enough light. Fruits tend to be smaller indoors and less of them unless you can offer supplemental lighting as well as your south window.

Also, fertilizer is beneficial and I like to mix 'blood and bonemeal' into the soil of my potted veggies. It gets them really going and producing. Peppers and tomatoes will not require pollination to develop fruits like some veggies do.

Are you bringing these plants indoors that were growing outside all season? Or are you starting fresh plants from seed? Be sure to get some sterile, well-draining soil, and make certain your pots have good drainage holes.

I like 'Gypsy' pepper because they tend to ripen fast. I am growing one in my kitchen window and here is a fruit ripening for me now...

Attached Files:

10. The Hollyberry Lady

ShearMe - it's baby burro's tail, called 'burrito'. Thanks - I think it's so cute too. Laticauda sent me the cuttings from the US!

: O

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Alright, so I posted my gypsy twice!

That was the plant you were referring to, right Kamiry? The 'Explosive Amber'? Or did you mean my 'Aurora'?

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Kamiry:

To save tomato seeds, an easy way for a beginner is to...

Open a tomato over a paper towel and squeeze wet tomato seeds onto paper towel sitting on a plate. Allow to dry with paper towel sitting on wax paper so it doesn't stick to the plate when it dries.

Let the seeds dry, stuck to the paper towel, then fold the towel up and place inside a baggy and put inside the bottom of your fridge after drying them for a week or two.

When you're ready to sow the seeds, just tear off little pieces of the paper towel and bury under 1/4" of soil. The seed will sprout and the paper towel will disintegrate!

Of course there are tons of other ways too, but this is pretty easy for a beginner.

13. Kamiry

Kamiry Member

Sorry I disappeared, I had to go grocery shopping.
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll try the paper towel method and let you know if I manage to get a cutting to root too! I think I'll try the Gypsy pepper (love the name too!)
    The plant I was talking about was the second picture on the 70th post. I think it was an aurora.

14. The Hollyberry Lady

You're very welcome, Kamiry.

Ok, the 70th post has many different types of hot peppers posted, but you referred to one with small purple peppers and dark leaves. That's 'Explosive Amber'.

Is this the one you mean?...

P.S. Yes, 'Gypsy' is a very reliable pepper and will still produce even when it's quite cool! You can eat the fruits when they're yellow or wait for them to turn red for extra sweetness.

Attached Files:

• 623.jpg
      623.jpg
      File size:
      200.3 KB
      Views:
  15. Kamiry

Kamiry Member

Yup, that's the one! I didn't realise the peppers get redder when it ripens so it looked different.
    I'm off to do some yummy tomato seed extraction!

16. The Hollyberry Lady

Good luck with your seed extracting...

17. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Ratehr than saying baby burro, I said burrito (burro + ito). One of the few things I think I remember from my spanish classes is that you add the "-ito" to the end of nouns rather than saying "- de bebe" but I've forgotten most of spanish, so that part of my memory could be tainted.

18. The Hollyberry Lady

I corrected you only because I wanted people who might like it, to rememeber the name in their search.

When mine get going a bit more, I can send ya some cuttings, Zac!

19. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

That'd be great! Have I sent you the smaller 3 sedum varieties I have (Red Carpet, Tricolor, and Stonecrop) yet? I should be able to send you some 'Frosty Morn' next time I have other things to mail you.

One thing I only realized recently was that the 'Stonecrop' Sedum flowers on the ends of its trails; if I knew this, I would have stopped making so many clones and let them bloom!

20. The Hollyberry Lady

OMG Zac - I would just love to have your sedum varieties!

I will send ya burrito and the large burro's tail type too - even my string of pearls, and many others!!! Do you know that every cutting you sent me last time is absolutely thriving?!!! One of them is a full plant!

Let me go take a shot for you - be back in a minute to load pic...

21. The Hollyberry Lady

Ok, here they are Zac...

The first shot shows your absolutely gorgeous succulent plant that I do not know the name of. Look how big and full it is!!! I have it in a pot with other succulents, but will transplant later if things get too crowded.

Beside it, in the 2nd picture you can see your other small cutting that you sent me in the middle. Small but nonetheless healthy and coming along. It's partially covered over by your bigger succulent. I love them both. I think there's one more but it's in another pot somewhere...

Anyway, thought you'd like to take a peek at how well they're both doing, and how much I like them. Thanks so much, Zac.

Attached Files:

22. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I didn't send that succulent in the second pic, but glad none-the-less that they are doing magnificent; that particular one I sent hasn't done well here in Texas, My yellow flowering one died, and the other is struggling. At the Nursery, even, all the same plants were doing great when I bought mine, and a few weeks later they were dying.

You should also have Red carpet sedum: http://www.soonerplantfarm.com/_ccLib/image/plants/DETA-372.jpg and tricolor sedum: http://www.thesucculentgarden.com.au/images/sd22_large.jpg

The colors on these get richer when in full sun.

I have 3 others that I think you don't and I'll share 'em with ya. :)

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh my goodness Zac - I am at a loss for words! Those are GORGEOUS!!!!

WOW! I would just LOVE to have those! I enjoy the colors so much. You have got to start asking me for stuff too, Zac - don't be afraid. I will say yes (hint hint). Sometimes I just forget to mention things all the time, so you have to remind me.

I can send amazing pieces of Jade, and this other awesome plant that produces yellow and red flowers - the cuttings root inside of a week! It's like a succulent, and it is just amazing.

All that money you spent to send me that banana plant! You are a real sweetheart and I must send you my best succulents to add to your collection...

I also have echeveria and other hens and chicks pieces to send too! You will enjoy them I am sure. I must admit though, if you want the burrito and the bigger burro's tail now, the cuttings will be extremely small! I have shared cuttings with others already, and really need time for re-growth now. I can send some now, and the others later - or wait. It's up to you.

I sure appreciate you sharing your sedum with me - I always admire them when you post pics. I will be just thrilled to get them. Yippeeeeeee!

P.S. I will surprise you with some stuff too...

24. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I will be glad to share my cuttings with you, and will also be glad to receive some of yours for sure! How would one trade hen and chicks? Mine seems too low to the dirt to get anything but some leaves. You can hold off on sending me some, I wont have much room inside during the winter anyways.

It will most likely be awhile before I send you anything as well, I'm using most of my spending money on a new video game. (I know, I know, teenage priorities.)

25. The Hollyberry Lady

The leaves root too!!!