gasteria or aloe?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by aloejo, Aug 22, 2009.

1. aloejo

aloejo Member

Hi,

I have just acquired two of these and put them together. It's about 2 inches tall, smooth texture and even smoother at the tips of the plants. Anyone can help?

Thanks, Jo.

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i don't think they're aloe. gasteria is more likely.

3. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

soo cool! But yes I think Its gasteria.

4. aloejo

aloejo Member

Thanks for replying! That's what I thought too initially. But none of the Gasteria pictures I had found was matching these plants. Then I was searching for Aloe species. Could these be Aloe plicatilis seedlings??

5. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Yes, they are Gasteria. No, not Aloe plicatilis. They look similar to one called Gasteria 'Green Ice'. One of the pups on a variegated Gasteria I own has come up with no markings like yours. You can see some online pix of them without markings.

6. aloejo

aloejo Member

Wow. Thank you so much!!
    Appropriate name for this plant; they do look very icy...lol
    Especially without any markings.

Cheers, Jo

7. SanDiegoLarry

SanDiegoLarry Member

nice plant! I wonder how well those would do in full sun. I need some plants to diversify the aloes in my (hot) front yard. Gasteria would look really nice with aloe.

8. Natalie M.

Natalie M. Active Member

Most resources I can find state that Gasteria does best in light shade, but I have mine on my deck where they get bright, direct sunlight for about 5-6 hours a day, and they are growing fine. They've developed a bit of a reddish tinge like Haworthias do when they're kept in bright light, but their growth is good and they're making lots of pups. They got their monthly water today.

Gasteria pillansii var. pillansii and Gasteria pillansii var. liliputana

Attached Files:

9. aloejo

aloejo Member

Hi Larry,

Well I don't see much change putting the plant in the sun for several days.
    I do know my aloe's will turn purplish when put in the sun for several days. So I guess
    gasteria blood is much more hardy. Of course your sun need to be considered which will be much stronger I guess...

Jo

10. SanDiegoLarry

SanDiegoLarry Member

Hmm, the aloes we have in full sun all have a nice reddish tint to them - and we haven't lost a single aloe yet this year to the sun. We have 14 aloes, so a pretty good first summer for them.

I'm not sure I'll risk full San Diego sun on a Gasteria. Beautiful plant, sounds like it would be perfectly safe if it had a little bit of shade from a palm or bird of paradise (Strelitzia). I've seen nice Gasterias at the local garden centers, no idea why I've never picked one up.

Thanks for this thread, I defiantly need to broaden my succulent horizons!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  11. MaQMartok

MaQMartok Member

If you're looking to expand your succulent collection for outdoor gardens I hear that sedums do well in the San Diego area. It's a very diversified genus with allot of variety in color and shape. I have a Sedum adulpii nova that's doing well here in Tucson. It's yellow with pink tinge on the leaves. It's even stood up to some light frost.

12. SanDiegoLarry

SanDiegoLarry Member

Funny you should mention that, because I did try 2 sedum in my front yard this year, and I'm extremely enthusiastic about them. Both of the sedums are not only alive but thriving. They also make a nice contrast to the aloe, and cascade quite well down the slight hill that is my front yard. Definitely more sedums for me when I fill in the empty spots this winter. Yay, sedum!