Quince tree repair and harvesting

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Linda P, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Linda P

Linda P Member

My three year old quince tree has over 50 fruit on it. Last night (Sunday Sept 13) one large branch broke (see photo). I picked all the fruit off that branch and am wondering if I can repair the tree at the break? The branch is the lower one on the right side and it's about 6 feet long.

Also, because I picked the fruit do I have to do something right away with them or can I cold-storage the fruit for a few weeks to let them ripen a bit?

When can you harvest quince? (In the Lower Mainland - Delta). It's a Le Bourgeaut ?

Thanks in advance for the advice, Linda

Attached Files:

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks nasty I would trim off if it were mine.
    Can't help with fruit but should imagine would work the same as pears and apples. Otherwise maybe quince jam

Liz

3. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

Looks a lot like what happened to mine two years ago. Must be specific to that variety. What I did with mine was cut the broken branch off as cleanly as I could and hope. It bounced back just fine, but now I try to thin the fruit before it gets so heavy.

With regard to the fruit you harvested, just make sure they are dry, then put them in a bowl in your dining room. Trust me, you will know when they're ripe because of the wonderful perfume. You should be harvesting them when just starting to go yellow anyway -- any later and they often split.

Once they are ripe, it's quince jam time!
    keke

4. Linda P

Linda P Member

Thanks for the advice - I will have to carefully cut the brach off and hope for the best.

As for the fruit - I would like to leave it on my dining room table to ripen but, as you can see from the picture, I would need a very large bowl! There are 27 quince and at least double that left on the tree.

Attached Files:

5. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

Hmm, a big bowl needed! I put mine in a wicker basket but check them weekly in case of rot. I should note that by thinning mine at the "gumball" size stage I get larger fruit athough fewer of them.
    keke

6. Linda P

Linda P Member

An update. I just harvested my remaining quince (about 50 fruit!). The smell in the house was heavenly. I've made jam with about half of them - 5 litres worth! 12x 250 ml jars and 4x 500 ml jars. What a gorgeous burgundy colour. I will be making jelly with the remaining fruit. I will post a photo once they are all canned.
    Linda