In The Garden: Orchide/Lily/Tropical?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Hase1, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Hase1

Hase1 Member

Bought this plant as a tropical foliage. No other tags came with this plant. I like to know the name of this beauty. Can anyone identify it?

Attached Files:

2. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

It is an orchid - Spathoglottis. Probably S. plicata.

3. Hase1

Hase1 Member

Thank you so much. I cross checked and you are right.

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Where in Texas are you, or more precisely, what zone? Spathoglottis is a tropical genus, and so I don't think that yours will be able to handle frost. If it does get that cold where you are, you should try to protect it somehow, or maybe dig it up and bring it inside for the winter.

5. Hase1

Hase1 Member

Re: Orchid/Lily/Tropical?

We are north of Dallas. Because we do get frost and snow here I needed to know what kind of plant I bought. When you gave me the name I immediately checked on further info which confirmed my suspicion. The plant was one of Wal-Mart's "no tag" plants, which you find there a lot. I usually don't buy plants without at least a name, but this plant is so pretty and healthy looking I just had to buy it. I'll plant it in a pot and keep it at it's current site, but will bring it in before it gets too chilly for it.

Do you know anything about dividing these Orchids? I thought of taking one or two plants out and plant them in the ground. The site is pretty sheltered, so maybe it will survive.

Anyway, thanks for the warning.

6. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I don't know a whole lot about Spathoglottis, but it is a sympodial plant, so it can be divided just like any other perennial garden plant. Yours looks to be a good size, so I would say it could be divided into multiple pieces. I would say do some more research to see how it grows and when is the best time to divide it. How many pseudobulbs (bulb-like structures at the base of each growth) does it have?

There is a chance yours could be a hybrid, but it does look a lot like plicata.

I have seen them for sale here on occasion, and I should have picked one up. Hopefully they'll come again.

7. Hase1

Hase1 Member

Yes, I think too, that it is a plicata from what I've seen after surching. I assume it has a lot of pseudobulbs, I actually thought, there are way too many plants in this pot (another reason I bought it). I will research the dividing issue further.
    And thanks again for your comment and the caution to find out when to divide. I was not thinking about that.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I usually don't buy plants without a nursery. Although I have made some purchases at Home Depot. With big box plant departments you have to be wary of the labeling as well as the quality. Serious neglect is typical at Home Depot stores here.

9. Hase1

Hase1 Member

Yeah, this one was a Wal-Mart "no-tag-special". It was only 6 dollars so I thought, what the heck.