Help, don't want to kill my cats!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wheatie, Sep 11, 2009.

1. wheatie

wheatie Member

I bought a couple little plants this afternoon. One had a tag that said "Dieffenbachia" and the other just "Tropical Foliage". Got home, looked up Dieffenbachia. It's bad for my kitties, so it's gotta go. Don't know what the other one is though.

Here she is: http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/mmayoh/HPIM2727.jpg

Can you help me?

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi,
    it's a Hypoestes phyllostachya.

3. wheatie

wheatie Member

Awww.... well then from what I've found, they're definitely a no-no for kitties. Dang... 2 cute little plants and I can't keep 'em!

How are you supposed to know what's bad for your cats or not, short of printing out a list and taking it to the store!?

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

polka dot plant, sorry, don't know the latin name.

yes, the dieff's can cause problems - only if chewed and/or eaten. if you have a spot to put the plant, where the cat won't get to it, then you should be fine keeping it.

5. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Providing pots of "cat grass" (wheat, oats) through the year for the cats to eat to satisfy their need for greens is an obvious solution to this "problem". The cat grass can be grown outdoors (or on a balcony) through the summer, or under fluorescent lights throughout the year - whatever one's situation requires.

6. wheatie

wheatie Member

Yeah, we tried the cat grass before and they weren't fans. The only "problem" is finding and knowing which plants are poisonous or not. I want plants.

7. Annageckos

Annageckos Active Member 10 Years

I have 6 cats and a ton of plants. My cats always stay away from the toxic plants. I have both plants you have and my cats never go after them. If your cats did not like the 'cat grass' then I don't think they will bother the less appealing 'toxic' plants. Try growing some catnip or wheat or oat grass and see if they like that. I wouldn't worry about these plants.

8. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

"Cat grass" IS wheat or oats... as I already suggested. But having it always handy for them allows them to graze from it at will; I'd suggest trying it again and keep it always available. Our cats also have access to a soft native ornamental grass out in their pen through the summer, which they like to graze.