Not sure if I chose the right clematis

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Surreygirl, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Surreygirl

Surreygirl Member

Hello, I have a new bench/arbor with lattice on our deck. I really want to grow a vine over it to give us privacy from the neighbours. I thought about a clematis montana rubens, but the nursery I went to didn't have any, so I got talked into a nelly moser. I love the blooms, but my only concern now is whether or not it will, in time, completely cover the arbor. I've attached a picture, and it is 10 ft wide, about 10 ft. high, and I'd like all the areas with lattice to be covered. The nursery staff said it would grow big enough, but I'm not so sure. What do you think? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

I don't think the stems will get much longer than they are now. You'll get more individual stems as the plant matures, but this is not an especially large plant.

Could leave 'Nelly' where she is and buy a larger plant to climb up from the other side?

3. Surreygirl

Surreygirl Member

To clarify, the Nelly is new, and still in the pot. I could either try to return it or find another location, or as you suggested, plant it at the right (East) end of the arbour, and put something else from the other side. I'm thinking I shouldn't have believed them that it would eventually cover the whole thing.