Seed pods falling off

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by Canadian Honey Pot Collector, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Canadian Honey Pot Collector

Canadian Honey Pot Collector Member

The seed pods are falling off my tropical hibiscus tree's after what seems they have swelled 4 to five times their size, about two weeks after pollination, Ive cut some of them open and there seems to be what look like seeds but are nowhere near developped yet. If kept in a dry place will they continue maturing into viable seeds?
    The pods are still green when they fell off.

Thank you

2. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

the simple answer is no. sometimes if there is an viable embryo even though the pod fell off what can happen is embryo rescue basically the seed is placed in a tissue culture solution i have never done it but have heard of it being done. i would just keep pollinating all the blooms i could i am not sure of the percentage chance of getting viable seeds but so far out of the 50 or 60 i have pollinated i have had probably 6 seed pods that held the pod till it matured and none of those plants where anything special so they ended up composted or rootstock. the only one i have kept was just becase it was different than either parent the only thing i had at the time was a yellow and a pink so i crossed them and the bloom is orangy red but still nothing worth propegating just sentimental. the yellow was (yellow delight) the mother pod holder and the the pink was (figi island) pollen parent. the bloom has the same shape as the figi island so you never know what you are going to get from crosses.the percentage of getting a worthy hybrid meaning one worth propegating and maybe selling is very very low but i will still do it from time to time just to see what i can get. most of the time the seedlings will bloom in 2 to 4 years i have had one cross all of them bloomed in just 1 1/2 years but again it was a cross that has been done a whole bunch of times and the bloom result was the same as all the other crosses they all had different growing habits two where bushy and two wanted to grow straight up but they all ended up rootstock for other things so good luck just make sure to keep the watering consistant if they dry out to much or stay to wet the plant will drop all the pods from the stress good luck

3. Annageckos

Annageckos Active Member 10 Years

My tropical hibiscus pods alway fall off. I don't even bother hopping to get seeds from the plants anymore. I don't know why this happens, maybe because the plants are a hybrid of two different species they have less of a success rate.

4. Canadian Honey Pot Collector

Canadian Honey Pot Collector Member

Thank you Anna for the reply,

Al