Windmill Palm in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by TrachyOK, Aug 11, 2008.

1. TrachyOK

TrachyOK Member

Can't find anything here about palm trees in Oklahoma so I will start a thread just FYI.
    Zone 6b-7a.

On April of 86 I found this small palm at nearby garden center. I planted it on the front side of my condo facing east,totally blocked from the west .......attached units,other,condos,trees houses,etc to the north....and condos to the South.
    It was a Chinese Windmill Palm.

Full sun most of the year from sunrise to about 1pm then shade from my unit.
    And I think it is well protected from heavy wind but not sure how well until it grows above the top of fence.

The soil is good because of musa basjoo that grew there.
    It is planted about 4ft from wall.

The first winter I just mulched it heavy and put a dense cardboard box on top of it when there was a freeze warning or ice. I kept it covered as long as 4 days because it was buried in snow.

For the next winter(07) I mulched it again but this time I covered it with something called a Planket.
    http://www.theplanket.com/
    It made it fine through the big ice storm.
    I did over sleep one morning and it was covered with ice so I covered it and the ice slowly melted with no damage.
    This time the leaves grew out all winter but slowly. I would say one foot length of the leaf. The rest of the leaf grew out quickly once the weather warmed up but minor damage.

Oh.....I forgot to mentioned that 2 or three months before winter I give it a good dose of potassium.

The trunk is about 24-30 inches now and has every leaf since planted.

It looks so good that I just ordered a 6ft windmill palm to plant next to the other.

Right now I am getting my walkway repaired and resurfaced and next week I will plant it when it arrives.

I will post some pictures later.
    Also the type of fertilizer used.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. TrachyOK

TrachyOK Member

Thanks.
    Seems that the Sabal is popular here.
    Very few windmill palms.

4. TrachyOK

TrachyOK Member

Here is a picture when planted and two from today. I am going to plant the 6ft palm with it next week.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  5. TrachyOK

TrachyOK Member

Decided to plant another windmill in the back patio area today. (pic)
    Clay base soil in the back as well.
    I mixed the backfill with mushroom compost.
    Not as well protected as the front east side of condo. This area is exposed to south winds and some west exposure but full sun for about 4+ hours then partial until sunset.
    The fence will protect it for a while and I know of possible wind damage in a few years.

The Musa Basjoo grew well in this soil...a little too well. It grew like weeds and the main banana grew up to about 15ft. with 8-10in diameter base.
    They were getting out of control and nearly destroyed a section of my fence.
    Took me a few months to kill those monster corms. I did not mulch and the winters did not harm them at all.
    So if anyone plan to grow these Basjoos in Tulsa(especially near Arkansas River) plant them in a controlled area.
    They are beautiful though.

At that time I did not know about cold hardy palms.
    Wish I did.

Attached Files:

6. TrachyOK

TrachyOK Member

Well it has been over a year since planting the large windmill next to the small tree I planted almost 3 years ago.
    I freaked out when I first looked at this palm. It was bigger than I thought it would be.
    The semi truck could not get through the gates where I live so I had to make other arrangements as you can see.

I did manage to get it into the ground by myself even though it weighed close to 500lbs.

Had to lay it down and cut the pot off with snips. Then I beat the root ball with my fist to knock off the soil and expose about 4 inches of the root all around.
    Sprinkle the root hormone powder on the roots.
    I dug the hole about 1/3 more than the root ball and filled with river rock(I think).
    Then carefully maneuvered the tree to lift it and let it drop into the hole.

It was perfect and did not need to secure with rope.

Then I started at the bottom breaking loose the soil to fill in and worked my way up to avoid air gaps. Filled the rest of the with the excess soil mixed with mushroom compost.
    Gave it just a little bit of palm fertilizer. And a good dose of potassium in late September.

Made it through the winter ok. I was not even at home from Nov.20 to Dec.28 and it looked fine when I returned home.

It handled the heavy wet snow in March.

Trachy is loving this weather(80-88 degrees/day and 58-70/night)
    The crown is about 1ft taller now.

**the small palm tree died**
    I'm learning......

Attached Files:

7. TrachyOK

TrachyOK Member

Had to trim to prevent eye injury.

Attached Files:

8. Zach Watts

Zach Watts New Member

I know this is a very old thread. We live in Okla as well and have planted three smaller Windmills this summer and are hopeful for their surviving and thriving haha Great info TrachyOK for winter. Thanks

Attached Files:

TrachyOK likes this.
  9. Troy Knight

Troy Knight New Member

I'm in Oklahoma City.... I have several Windmills, Sagos & Mexican Fan all in the ground!

Attached Files:

TrachyOK likes this.
  10. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

There are Sabal minor palms native to OK (Sabal minor 'McCurtain') from McCurtain county, that would likely do well for you too, if you want some variety.
    Cheers, Barrie.

TrachyOK likes this.
  11. TrachyOK

TrachyOK Member

OK.
    I'm updating my pictures. Here is the palm tree in back patio area when planted in 2008 and current pic. Been updating patio as well.
    It's pretty much protected from cold winter winds somewhat.
    No reason to cover it or use Christmas lights in the past 2-3 years.

I found this windmill at Southwood Landscape and Nursery in Tulsa on the floor in tropical section.
    It read "windmill palm" but never was sure what type it was but looking at it now think its a Wagnerianus.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  12. TrachyOK

TrachyOK Member

Palm tree planted in 2008 and taken an hour ago.
    It's 16ft from ground to top of crown now.
    Oklahoma winters has been mild the past 4 years. Covered it twice because of -5 windchill but for 2018 and 2019 I didn't cover it at all. It's well established and probably hard to kill now but to protect the fronds and maintain a full crown it's best to protect from wind chill damage.
    Since 2008 we've had one severe ice storm,one blizzard,and 3 heavy snowstorms,including about a dozen zero to -15 wind chills.
    Lost entire crown 5 years ago due to wind chill because inability to cover.

This tree was purchased and shipped from realpalmtrees.com.
    You can see above how it was wrapped and shipped.
    They are very good at this. Comes with packet of starter fertilizer and root hormone with instructions.
    This tree was so big and heavy it was deliver to home by semi from Florida but as you can see in pictures above I hired a smaller truck because semi could not maneuver through gate entrance of property.

Attached Files:

wcutler likes this.
  13. TrachyOK

TrachyOK Member

Planted new palms today.
    One windmill in back on the right....purchased from realpalmtrees.com.
    ** The plant on the left is a Bulgarian windmill palm tree purchased from plantdelights.com as a seedling 3 years ago**

Two- 2ft. and 1ft. in front. Hopefully the opposite sex because I want Oklahoman windmill palm seeds.
    Purchased from realpalmtrees.com
    I mixed local compost and earthworm castings into soil.
    It is draining well and covered with Cyprus mulch

One thing I've learned from these windmill palms is larger the tree better chance of survival after planting.
    After planting they seem to go into shock within two weeks then all is well.
    My concern is the temperature since its reaching mid 90s and zero rainfall. I'm not fond of tap water for plants especially newly planted.
    Order was a month late because of the coronavirus issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  14. Zach Watts

Zach Watts New Member

Thanks for all the updates TrachyOk, so far this year ive only covered my windmill a couple nights. I have Mediterranean that has been uncovered all winter and seems to be doing great. Looking to get a larger windmill this year. Ours is roughly 4.5ft of trunk. We planted 3 washingtonia (mexican fans) but they are wrapped for the winter. all are about 3ft