Ok...now I'm getting concerned!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by WendyI, Aug 2, 2005.

1. WendyI

WendyI Member

I posted a huge thread about the newest addition to my house - a Tibouchina or Princes/Glory plant.

It's a standard that's been "braided" and the girl at the nursery said it was grafted but I'm not really seeing that.

Anyway...I transplanted it yesterday and it immediately started dropping flower petals. I watered it fairly heavily since my potting soil was quite dry...now I'm worried I've drowned it!

I got up this morning to more blooms and MORE petals on the floor (which I suppose is normal) AND two brown leaves. Is this transplant shock?

While the plant is in a sunny east facing window, only half of the plant gets full sun. Is this going to be a problem? Will I need to rotate it?

Someone PLEASE tell me I'm not going to kill this plant! :-(

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Give it a couple of days before you build it a coffin, it could be it was going to drop those first petals anyway. It is a sensitive plant, so give it some love. You might have to rotate it, judge that by its growth. Lay off on to much water for a couple of days.
    Was the plant root bound? did you cut into tose roots at all? Did you plant it outside ? or just to another pot?
    Carol Ja

3. WendyI

WendyI Member

Hi Carol...thanks for your reply!

The plant was not totally root bound but it was getting tight. I posted in an earlier thread that it did have some mushroom fungus tho and I did trim some of the roots but only the very tips.

I'm surprised to hear you say it's sensitive tho since everything I've read indicates they are quite hardy and drought tolerant (which is good in my house!) I did not plant it outdoors since it would not survive frost and we'll be getting that soon enough! LOL!

If you have any other experience with this plant I'd sure like to hear it. $50 CDN is the most I have EVER spent on any plant and I'm worried my husband will kill me if it dies! LOL! Aside from that I love the plant and would really like to keep it!

Thanks also for answering my ROS thread...i'm going to look for catepillars right now.

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I was thinking sensitive with transplanting, not in tolerance to enviroment. I had one of these plants a few years back, I had it a pretty long time before it was accidently left out in the cold. It looked sad everytime I switched pots, and cut into the roots to get rid of root bound affect.
    Also $50.00 is pretty good for a plant, prices of plants are according to age, and pot size. I have had to buy plants, trees and such for clients the prices have ranged from .50cents to $4000.00+ depending on age, item, and how far it has come from.
    Carol Ja

5. WendyI

WendyI Member

well, glad to hear that it was a good price for the plant. It was in a 1 gal. container but it stands about 4 feet tall. I guess the "braiding" (for lack of the proper term) would take time as well.

thanks again for the info...hopefully it'll settle into it's new pot nicely.