croton plant zone

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by honolua, Sep 3, 2009.

1. honolua

honolua Active Member

HI,
    Anybody have any luck with croton plants outdoors in a sheltered spot in Zone 8? I know they are typically tropical zone 9-11 and indoor here in zone 8 but just wondering as they deceptively look like they could be hardy. I have a HUGE one that has outgrown it's pot and am tempted to put it in the ground in a nice semi-sheltered micro-climate spot. I know they have them as hedges on Maui, but would be happy if here in the pacific northwest, it died off in the winter but came back in the spring?

Also, I have read they are poisonous to animals and small children who may want to chew on them (yikes) but that they taste so bad it is rare....has anybody heard this too? I am surprised because as I said, they are EVERYWHERE as hedging in the Hawaiian islands. I don't want to accidentally poison my neighbours' pets who may come out at night!
    l have included a couple of pictures of the plant (not my actual one), in case photos trigger something for someone.

Attached Files:

2. LeftCoastAngler

LeftCoastAngler Active Member

I grow them with no problem exposed to one or two nights of frost annually too...
    I'm in 9A pushing 9B.
    Just keep them in containers and bring them in on the super cold nights...
    They won't mind.

3. honolua

honolua Active Member

Thanks! My problem is I have too many plants to bring in already, so I am going to place this in the ground and keep fingers crossed!
    thanks,

4. Deneb1978

Deneb1978 Active Member 10 Years

Hey,

Well, I would be careful about planting it in the ground here in Vancouver. I would definitely offer it lots of protection in the winter as our winters are more like 7a/7b and not 8a. Also, what are the heat requirements of this plant? If it grows naturally in Hawaii, it probably has a high heat requirement unless it grows at high elevation. Make sure you plant it next to something that will give off a lot of heat like your house or other building. In any case, good luck with it and look forward to hearing how it goes.

5. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

I'm in Zone 9b. We have had freezes here, but they are rare. Generally only a couple light frosts most winters. Crotons will freeze back, but as long as some trunk and root remain they will sprout again. Plus, they are super easy to root and transplant. If you know a freeze is coming, take some cuttings to be sure of having crotons next season.

I've had them frost back to an inch above the ground, probably with the canopy of frost bitten leaves and stems insulating the lowest part of the trunk. All came back.

6. honolua

honolua Active Member

Thanks! Yes, it is now planted in the ground and I hope that even if it dies back during the winter, that it will re-grow come spring!

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

"as our winters are more like 7a/7b and not 8a"

This map produced by the Center for Land & Biological Resourses Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, from information supplied from the Ottawa Research Station and Meteorological Branch, Environment Canada 1993 ... (CanSIS)

I've never had a zone 7 winter in my 30 years of gardening.
    Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

8. honolua

honolua Active Member

Thanks Barrie,
    Just playing it safe.....by the way, does anyone know why my plant's leaves would now be turning white? I had placed it outside and accidentally in full sun.....is this blanching of the leaves? I moved it to a shady spot for now....
    thanks,