planting golden willow cuttings

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by menieta, Sep 4, 2009.

1. menieta

menieta Member

Hi, I have just bought some cuttings from the golden willow but there are no instructions and being a novice I dont want to harm the cuttings by making a mistake. I would like to plant each one separately in large pots as i only have a small garden so dont want to plant them directly into the soil. I would like them to grow to about 4ft. I asked these questions before buying and was told I could do this now in September, and that I would get instructions with the cuttings sadly no instructions, so I am turning to anyone in the forum who could advise on what i must do, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe stick them all in a bucket of water, then pot up after roots appear.

3. menieta

menieta Member

I have been told that if I start them in water the roots could get damaged on planting, to be quite honest I dont even know which end is which.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Plant before roots get long and hard to handle. Buds and leaves point toward upper end.

5. menieta

menieta Member

at the moment they are just 12" sticks no leaves or buds, I was told before i bought them that the base would be straight and the top cut at an angle however both ends are the same so I am at a total loss