Hoping to save a mightily abused croton...

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by dontletmeplantsit, Sep 4, 2009.

1. dontletmeplantsit

dontletmeplantsit Member

Hello, all! I am new to this forum, and just about as new to plant care. I've really only ever cared for the plants of others, usually with disastrous results. I was hoping this time would be different, but please read on...

I recently took over care of my girlfriend's croton, since its poisonous leaves are a danger to her new roommate's cats. The plant (which she only got about 4 months ago, herself) did NOT appreciate the move, and took a turn for the worse almost immediately. Now, 2 and a half or so weeks later, it's looking just terrible. It's down to two leaves (!!!), and I can see roots in the top layer of soil. It looks like a lost cause to me, but a lot of what I've read suggest that crotons are capable of bouncing back, as long as you meet their somewhat fussy needs. After spending the day reading up on proper care, here are all the indignities that I now know it has suffered:

-Insufficient light. My apartment is not nearly as sunny as hers, and though I tried to put it near windows, they are ivy covered and all face east or south, and simply do not get much light. Today, I moved it to the outside windowsill of the only ivy-less window (it's south-facing), in the hopes that it would like that better. Once the weather starts to turn, though, I suspect that leaving it outdoors won't work, and the inside sills aren't big enough for it to sit on.

-Temperature flux. The air conditioner tends to blast the strongest in my room, and while it hasn't been freezing cold (it's late summer in Washington, DC, after all) the plant has definitely undergone a change of temperature---from I would estimate upper 70s at her place to low 70s at mine---and I hear they're not too keen on change.

-Possibly incorrect watering. Under her care, the plant was happiest getting only about a weekly dose of water, enough to wet the soil down to the bottom of the pot. It hasn't seemed as thirsty since the move, so I've been waiting even longer between waterings, until the top inch or two of soil feels dry. It still seems like it's suffering from over-watering, though, and it's taking *forever* for the soil to dry!

-Spider mites! Noooo! I didn't even know to check for these until reading up on care today, but then I looked, and sure enough, fine webbing could be found all over the place, some with tiny round eggs (I assume) caught inside. I didn't have a spray bottle or isopropyl on hand to spray down what remains of the plant, so I planned to get some today, and to try in the meantime wiping off the webbing with a soaked paper towel. It was while doing so that the rest of the leaves (save for the stalwart two....) succumbed. I mean, it only had 4 or 5 healthy-looking leaves before that, but now it doesn't even have that many. Gah!

So now, the plant consists of 3 stalks, only one of which looks very sturdy, and two leaves. Is there anything left to be done, especially with fall almost upon us and sunshiny days on the way out? I feel terrible! I can't even count the number of plants that have died on my watch. I know that it will take a good number of weeks or months for the leaves to fill out again, even under the best of circumstances---that's fine, I don't mind if it looks a little scruffy in the meantime, just so long as I can pull it through! Can it be rescued, and if so, how? I don't want to subject it to another minute of abuse, and I hate this feeling that even as I'm trying to help it, I am probably continuing to make things worse.

Thanks so much for any help!

-Audrey

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

I suggest that this plant should be put out of its misery. The fact that it is infested with spider mites is a good sign that it should go, they can be quite hard to get rid of.

3. dontletmeplantsit

dontletmeplantsit Member

Oof, the truth hurts. Thanks, though, James, for tellin' it to me straight.

Of course, if anyone else thinks differently and wants to try to catch me while I'm still in the denial or bargaining stages, by all means let me know.....

4. James D.

James D. Active Member

Sometimes you just have to cull the plants that are not doing as well as other, also if you have other plants or are planning on getting any more, the spider mites can get onto them as well.

5. dontletmeplantsit

dontletmeplantsit Member

Fortunately, the croton in question hasn't been around any other plants to spread the infestation---but for future reference, what are the best preventative measures with spider mites (or any other impossible-to-defeat pests)?

6. James D.

James D. Active Member

I use rubbing alcohol diluted in water, it is possible to get rid os spider mites, your croton just wouldn't survive the process due to its lack of leavesand water logged soil. The best way to prevent/control spider mites is to mist(with water) your plants on a regular basis. ALso make sure to check plants before you purchase them for signs of spider mites. These would be faded looking leaves, small webs, and sticky honeydew on the leaves. Some plants that are very prone to spider mites are Crotons, Ivy, Ficus, Hibiscus, just to name a few. Hope this information helps you out.

7. dontletmeplantsit

dontletmeplantsit Member

Very helpful indeed! I really appreciate you taking the time. Cheers.