A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Hi everyone.

Hmmm, nope, cant say that I've ever heard of that song before, cute though.

No worries on being "chastised" Katalina.....trust me, i've been called worse and besides, its all in good fun.

I know Sherry, everyones gardens next Spring are going to be incredible, and i am always on the lookout for unusual and bright plants and flowers.

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Oh dear me..wipes eyes...lololol

3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Or...

'Willaby Wallaby zeena - an elephant sat on Katalina'!!! LoL!

Guess what?...

A certain person's seeds just arrived now - from the UK!!!!! Oh Katalina, how exciting. Thank you soooooo much. The little pin for my mom that lights up and flashes is so nice, Her father was born in England so she will just be tickled. Thank you very much - how very kind and thoughtful of you.

Now, the tiny seeds that were inside the paper towel - what are they? They look very interesting. I cannot contain myself and must start those two Echium Fatuosum seeds right now!!!

: O

I will keep them going indoors for 7 months and then put them out in Spring. I just cannot stand it and must see if they'll sprout for me. Gonna go do some research now, on how to sow them properly. The seeds look so interesting. Ohhhhhh, I am so thrilled. Nothing else arrived in the mail today, so I can totally focus on your seeds and get to know them. Those 'Goblin' Gaillardia's look stunning. OMG!

Also, something about tiny white flowers and red berries? The name you wrote is cotenester? Sounds very cool. The orchid blue geranium sounds out of this world! This is way too awesome. Thank you once again, my little English friend. You are the best.

: )

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Give me time I am tired now. but lmaoooooooo thats good HBL.

They are they, should only be two. I can order more if your not sure its not a problem.

Yes the cotenester but I am unsure as I think I did say if they are seed or just the berries gone brown. reember I also said I am in my first year seed collecting. Time will tell for me if they are what I say they are because we three have the very same seeds. I shared them between us.

Glad mums pressie made it ok. Now I must find one for penny wenny and Robv

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Wish you could hear the tune of the song, because it's even funnier than the words!

Ok, well the seeds that are Echium Fatuosum were labelled and yes, there are 2 seeds inside a plastic wrapping inside the paper coin envelope - but there is another packet that just says 'Take care seed is very fine - inside paper towel' and there is no name for them. There's about 10-15 tiny little seeds wrapped in the towel. Curious to know what they might be...

P.S. As far as ordering more of the echium seeds - I am willing to wait and see if I get a sprout from one or both of the seeds you sent. All I need is one and I'm in business. Just don't want you to spend more money until we see how this plays out. Maybe both seeds will pop...

6. The Hollyberry Lady

Ok, here's some current shots...

1st is Tugo's Sand Lily seedling. It has two blades, Tugo!

2nd is my sweet 'Genovese' Basil. Delicious in my pasta dishes with my hot peppers and garlic.

3rd is my Golden Sage. I love the variegated foliage.

4th is ShearMe's Loquat seedling. It even sent up another shoot beside it!

Attached Files:

7. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Too cool about the loquat shoot, never seen them do that. I don't know when I shall get the 400w lamp, my father just told me to research it once I told him the fluorescent wasn't cutting it.

Sorry about my delays with the website, I've been busy with school everyday and band practice right after school everyday. Once Band slows down I'll have more free time and then we'll all have collected most of our seeds anyways and be ready for trading. Here's the link, but there's literally nothing on the forum. http://gone2seed.50.forumer.com/

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Yeah me too Zac - busy. Not to worry - things will work out for later.

So you've never seen a loquat tree send up another shoot from the same plant?!!! I thought this was perfectly normal. Actually, at first I thought it was a slow sprouting seed, but remembered that I always label how many seeds I sow and that all of them came up already, so this definitely is a shoot from the same plant. Tomorrow when I transplant it, I'll know for sure after looking at the roots.

What a nice looking plant though - so perfect. I really am enjoying it, but not too sure what to do with it. It won't survive the winter and come back next year, will it Zac?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  9. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Well, I've seen shoots on the bigger trees...

It will survive the winter, Just not outdoors. :P

I think ours barely make it through here because with our lack of large water reservoirs the heat dissipates at night and it gets chilly in winter too. Dallas just a few miles away stays a few degrees warmer just because it is almost entirely concrete. If we were slightly further south, my area would be safely classified as tropical. :)

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Ok, so I should plan to keep it as a potted fruit tree then? It will live it's late Falls and full Winters indoors and spend Spring and Summer outside. How cool. What an attractive little shrub - I love the leaves.

11. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I've read of people in cool climate or apartments keeping them in pots long-term any who so no big deal, right?

Not like you're planning on starting an orchard. :P

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Exactly. I really just grew one for funzies but it's turned out very cool so far.

13. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Yes, it definitely grows on you. I hope to always keep at least a small one in a pot nearby even if it never fruits. :)

14. Nath

Nath Active Member

Wow I cant beleive how many new posts there are since I last logged on.

Katalina, those Calandula are lovely i've been growing them in my garden this summer and really enjoyed how they brighten the place up, I have left a few too go back to seed so that I can collect them when they have dried out. When I was on the hunt for bulbs I found that Wilkos had a sale of different seeds mostly what I have but I found a packet of varied brugmansia which I am gowing to try and see what happens.

HBL good to see your seedlings are all doing so well.

Nath

15. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

They seed freely as well..funny seeds though lol Sort of reminds me of a crown.

Shearme,

Where is this new forum of yours? Link please

16. Nath

Nath Active Member

17. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

18. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Oh I never saw the link, sorry Nath

I did a domain search so I di'nt realise you were on Forumer Shearme.

Yea, I used to be on forumer and they do give a lot of links I remember.

Thanks to both.

19. BlueberryMania

BlueberryMania Active Member

Hey there just wanted to post pictures of my healthy blueberry bushes:

Attached Files:

20. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Mmm..nice plants.

Nie and clean, love the flowers too.

21. BlueberryMania

BlueberryMania Active Member

And these are the unhealthy ones. Would really appreciate it if anyone could help me identify what is wrong with the plants. Thanks

Also wanted to ask the weather here is getting a bit chilly 15 C and my healthy plants are still in the green fruiting stage. Will the weather affect these plants?

BBM

Attached Files:

22. Nath

Nath Active Member

Blueberrymania i have just been reading how scientists have discovered that Blueberry Juice mixed with fermented Blueberry skins prevents cancer and also is effective at fighting certain strains. So now when you eat your beriies or juice them you know that they are doing you good.

Nath

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Why I outta %!$@&^!!

I am so jealous right now I don't think I can type!

Not to worry, the blueberries will likely still ripen for you. Not sure about your 'unhealthy' one though - don't know what's wrong. Sorry.

24. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

25. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

I have no internet in the new house yet :( so making use of being at my parents for the weekend to see whats happening. (I dont really have a garden either, so most of my plants are here :( )
    BlueberryMania I'm jelous i dont think i'v ever had more than a small handfull of fruit of mine. so i rely in the wild bilberries here (Vaccinium myrtillus) which are just a smaller species but have a shorter croping season. When they are in season though i seem to come back from rides around the forest with red stained fingers everytime lol

Here's a few shots i took after work the otherday (I really have to get the name of that plant on the end, for now i'll stick with calling it the alien eyeball plant)

Attached Files: