Calathea and Hard Water

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Jakk, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Jakk

Jakk Active Member

Hi Folks

I have a Calathea plant and I live in a hard water area, I have done some research on these plants and I have discovered they do not like being given hard water.

Pretty much every thing I have read says they like soft or filtered water.

My question is can I go out and get a Britta drinking water filter and then use the water that has been filtered through that?

Many Thanks

Jakk

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

That should work, or at least its worth a try.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Your right, Calathea's are sensitive to chlorine and fluoride found in hard water, fluoride seems to be worse for them then the chlorine.
    Using distilled, spring, or purified water would be other options to use for these plants. They also like plenty of humidity.

4. Jakk

Jakk Active Member

Thanks for the replies folks

Would it be ok to use bottle mineral water, cost isn't an issue as being here in the cold damp UK my plants don't need watering too often.

I have had the Calathea for 4 weeks now and I have only watered it once 3 weeks ago and the compost is still very moist now.

If I can't use mineral water then its gonna have to be a water filter as distilled water is hard to make and I don't have a spring nearby.

How about collecting some rain water? the only problem there is I live right next to a very busy motorway (M3), would car fumes affect it?

Can I keep rain water fresh in a bottle with a lid on it

Many Thanks

Jakk

5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Never used mineral water on my plants, so I can't comment if it's good, or better then the other ways to water....
    Rain water would definitely be good! Many people have a rain barrel just for their houseplants and they are "covered".