Thistles - BPOTD submission

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by jdavidingram, Aug 29, 2009.

1. jdavidingram

jdavidingram Member

Hello,

I've got some timely images of thistles that might be appropriate for the photo(s) of the day. Feel free to use either of these in an upcoming Photo of the Day issue.

Thanks,

Dave Ingram

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. gilnv

gilnv Member

Cirsium vulgare, bull thistle, has quite an impressive appearance although I always hated stepping on one as a barefoot kid trying to catch a football or whatever in Michigan and Ontario.

4. jdavidingram

jdavidingram Member

Hi Michael F,

Thanks for the reply - interesting that the common names of these two thistles in Canada (i.e. the Canada Thistle and Bull Thistle) don't have the same European common names - especially since they were introduced from Eurasia! Canada Thistle (or Creeping Thistle) = Cirsium arvense, Bull Thistle (or Spear Thistle) = C. vulgare

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Why were they changed in Canada?? I don't see what right Canada has to change our plant names. Can't they respect our right to name our own native plants?

6. jdavidingram

jdavidingram Member

Not sure why they would change the common names - would be interesting to find out why, esp. with the Canada thistle. How did a European thistle become a "Canada thistle"? Makes one appreciate the importance of the Latin names though!