Help me to my flowering cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by cactimun, Aug 14, 2009.

1. cactimun

cactimun Member

I have three cacti, but I do not know what kind they are. I have been trying to get to flower all summer but I can't. Can any one help?

2. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Do you have photos of any of them to share with us? That might help with an ID, even if they haven't flowered yet...we might be able to narrow it down to a genus. :)

3. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

How to get flowers on cacti depends much on what species they are, so yes we really need some kind of ID first.

4. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

In general it is not so much what you do to them in summer that matters, it is the winter treatment that is critical. Almost all must have a dry resting period. Some species need low temperatures, some want light, other will not flower whatever you do to them.

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

please post pics of the plants.

some types take many years to bloom - regardless of whether they are in their natural habitat or being grown indoors. other varieties will bloom within a couple years.

not knowing what you have, it may be that they aren't cactus. cacti are succulents; not all succulents are cacti.

so, that being said, you may have some other type of succulent that might be something that would bloom sooner than some cacti. we'd need pics to give id's

6. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

my sweet prickly pear had around 70 flowers come out around may-june in a time span of about 3 weeks.