Identification: Poor plant tossed in the trash, needs an ID for Rescue!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by KaitBird32, Aug 26, 2009.

1. KaitBird32

KaitBird32 Member

I was strolling around in Philadelphia when I came across this plant in the pot and dieing outside with the trash of some ritzy house. I felt bad for the thing and scooped it up and am trying to rescue it. However, I don't know what it is and how to care for it to give it a better retirement life. I am new to plants and plant care (poor college student looking for something to care for that is not an animal) but I couldn't just leave it. What do you think? Any suggestions? It had an ikea sticker on the bottom of the pot but it just had a bar code and no information. Let me know and I will get to it. Thanks all :)

Attached Files:

2. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Hey Philly Philly

Looks to me like Amaryllis.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Hippeastrum for accurate naming.

4. Manxcat

Manxcat Member

Hi there! I'm certain it's an Amaryllis as well. They can be wintered if you live in a cold clime, but it is a process. I found this for you.
    Re what to do with an amaryllis after it blooms, cut stems which flowered back to the neck of the bulb. Don't cut the leaves.
    Put it in a sunny window and give it water and fertilizer until spring, when it's warm enough to plant outside. Can either plant the bulb in the ground, or keep it in the pot, in part sun/part shade location. Either way, it needs lots of water and fertilizer to keep leaves large and healthy, to rebuild bulb for next year. In September or October, stop watering it and move to a place outside where it won't get rained on. Right before first frost, bring in and put in cool basement or garage. When leaves die back, cut them off at neck of bulb. Hope this is helpful! regards from Manxcat