propegating grape vines?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by coffeelover, Aug 25, 2009.

1. coffeelover

coffeelover Member

Hello everyone!

I am moving some of my grape vines to another location in my yard, were they can grow on a trellis. After moving them, however, I will need to prune them properly, they are only 3 years old, but haven't been pruned yet. How can I propagate them for new vines? I am currently propagating roses, Should I use the same method?
    thanks for the help!

2. glenn10

glenn10 Member

it may be too late in the season to root the cuttings before winter. Normally here in my area they are done from dormant hardwood cuttings in the spring so they have lots of time to form roots then go dormant on their own in the fall. If you want to root green wood I suggest you "air layer"(hang a pot on a post in the vine and bend it into the dirt/with root hormone)them before you dig them up and move to their new locations.But like I said it's a little late to form roots as the nights are cooling down.I would really wait till the vines go dormant,make your cuttings and bury them under some dirt or mulch for the winter and then plant in the spring.I use a 3 node cutting sideways about an inch deep in the soil (or make a good hill and stick it straight up then cover the row with black plastic to keep the soil temp up) and make sure 2 nodes are buried, no need to use root hormone here.If you wait till fall and use the dormant method you will have better success,although there are a few cultivars that don't root as easily as others and may have to be air layered. Just search your variety on the net, there are lots of grape sites that should have the some info.

3. coffeelover

coffeelover Member

Thanks for all of the help! It has been greatly appreciated!