12 ft pencil cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by greensilly girl, Aug 16, 2009.

1. greensilly girl

greensilly girl Member

My pencil cactus has grown a huge amount this year. It seems more like a tree than anything else at this point. It has always grown beneath a trellis but it had exceeded it's rooftop bounds. The problem is that the cactus is very heavy and it looked to be crushing the trellis. so, I have, reluctantly, pruned the top (about 3-4 feet).

I was reading a previous thread that suggested I should allow the tops to "scab" and then root them in water. Is this still the case for a cactus this large? The trunk of these trimmings is roughly the size of a half dollar.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

allow the cuttings to callous over - for that diameter it should take at least a week and maybe longer. once they're ready, put the cuttings in dry cactu soil and allow them to sit in the dry soil for a week or so and then lightly water and continue to lightly water for the first few month or so (every couple weeks). after about a month, gently nudge the cuttings to see if roots have formed. if so, you can increase the amount of water given at each watering and also cut back to once a month for it.

putting the cuttings of this type of plant in water will cause them to rot.

3. greensilly girl

greensilly girl Member

beauty. will do.

4. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Love to see pics...

By the way - hope you enjoy UBC Gardening Forum, Greensilly Girl!

: )

5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Careful! The sap can be toxic for some, cause burns to skin and eyes.

6. greensilly girl

greensilly girl Member

Some sap did drip right into my eye as I was working overhead for awhile. I guess I got lucky.., didnt burn or itch. I was surprised how freely the sap runs. I will post pics this weekend. Still looking for the "dry" potting soil.

7. Bluewing

You are lucky nothing happened after getting a drop in your eye of all places!!! I have gotten the sap on my hands without any problems at all, but for some, it can cause painful burns and blistering.

For future pruning, by pressing or blotting a moist paper towel, or rag to the cut (s) for about 10-20 seconds or more (depending on how large the cut branches are) will slow and eventully stop the sap from bleeding.
    Cactus soil is available in places like Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart and Kmart.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  8. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I was thinking the same thing as Bluewing - thank goodness you're ok!!!

: O

Weird that it burns some people but not others, but thank goodness it didn't burn you!

: )

9. greensilly girl

greensilly girl Member

One week later.......... wanted to send pics of the pencil. I have high hopes for one of them (the smaller one in the picture that has two pots)..... the others, I'm not so sure. They are so heavy. I have supported them with pieces of bamboo and Im hoping for the best.

Attached Files:

10. Bluewing

They look great! Without added competition for light now, they stems should eventually straighten up and thicken out over time.
    Just don't keep the cuttings wet, let the soil dry out completely before watering them again:)