Saving Russian Blue potato seeds

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Saving Russian Blue potato seeds

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?OVNFL 19 August 2009. Saving Russian Blue potato seeds.

Seed saving procedure is the same as for tomato seeds. The seeds are removed from the pods and placed in a container with some water, kept at about 20 degrees C, until fermentation starts. The water is changed periodically until the seed gel coating has been removed. The seeds are then dried thoroughly and stored.

When appropriate the seeds are planted in pots or a small plot and the resulting tubers formed are then planted for the main potato crop. Apparently the seeds will not produce potatoes the same as when planting the tuber, which are effectively clones.

The best type grown is then selected for future propagation. This is how new strains are produced.

This is my first attempt of this procedure.

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

I have considered doing that and was just reading up about it. Some of my Yukon potatoes have produced seed pods and I was considering trying to save the seeds.

3. Durgan

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?NZBUS 22 August 2009 Processing Russian Blue Potato Seeds
    Seeds have fermented somewhat, and they were rinsed with water , placed on a paper towel, and then on wax paper to dry. The main issue is to prevent clumping. The seeds will be allowed to thoroughly dry, then stored for growth in the future.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?VQCPT Summary: Saving Russian Blue Potato Seeds.

4. cowboy

cowboy Active Member

Coffee filter paper can be used instead of paper towel when drying seeds.

5. Durgan

Probably better than paper towels. I grabbed the most convenient at hand.

6. JanR

JanR Active Member

What were the seed pods like when you harvested them. I had read that when they fell off the plant they were probably ready so I picked up some today. They seemed quite hard and it was not easy to squeeze out the seeds. I am just wondering what your seed pods were like when you picked them.?

7. Durgan

Mine lay on the ground and some were quite hard, others slightly soft. I choose the soft ones and the seeds were easy to remove, similar to a small ripe tomato fruit. I suggest if hard, the pod is not ripe.

8. JanR

JanR Active Member

Thanks Durgan! I thought they must not be ripe enough. I will wait until they get softer. Hopefully they won't all get blown off as it is terrifically windy this morning.