: ) seeds you have, and seeds you want...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, May 11, 2009.

1. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I am just popping in, and i am so sorry to hear what has happened to you Sherry!!!

Some people just have no clue and no conscience either, to deliberatly steal from anothers property....you are very lucky that you were able to save some.
    Its sad that you'll have to bring everything in now at night, but if it stops them from stealing more, then thats what you should do.
    Do you have a light that you can leave on for the next little while, just to see if they do come back.

You should make a sign that says "SMILE.....YOU'RE ON CAMERA", and stick it in the window, just to scare them off!!

2. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Your garden will be up and running again in no time, I'm sure.

3. castawaykev

castawaykev Active Member

I have for Trade:
    Jacobs Ladder seeds (purple)
    red, white and coral dianthus
    mountain bluet
    blue pansey

more later.... i.e hosta and various tree

Want list:

fruit tree seeds: plum, pear and cherry
    interesting sunflower seeds
    hot pepper seeds
    any interesting tree seeds
    any perennial seeds

KC

4. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

5. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Oh my goodness CastawayKev - you have definitely hit the right spot for hot pepper seeds!!!

: O

When I am feeling like myself again, maybe we'll do a trade, because I like blue pansies, and the purple Jacob's ladder too. I can set you up with tons of special hot pepper varieties...

Thank you, Penny, for your kind words - and everyone's. I am so happy that I just finished bringing my leftover plants in for the night tonight! They are now behind a locked steel door, but can be seen through the windows.

: )

Hope they come back tonight and see them, but know they can't get their dirty thieving mitts on them! Love some of your ideas, Penny.

Anyway, not to worry, this has only set me back momentarily. I can replace everything they took, but I just still cry over my poor fish. I feel awful guilt and sickness in the pit of my stomach when I think of them. I just wish they had have been spared. I really liked them, and some very sweet boys helped me catch them from the river! They survived all those weeks.

: (

6. castawaykev

Hi Hollyberry Lady,

I can't wait to trade!

I live in PEI...and as we speak...am about to be hit by hurricane Bill...at the moment it is dead quiet. I ran around like a mad man putting all my plants in the greenhouse...etc. That reminds me i have some potted cherry tomatoes, ginkgo seedlings, musa Basjoo (banana) pups and peppers on the deck....ahhhh.

Yep I grow Banana out here. I have a sheltered back yard that is zone 6, I always thought the island was zone 4 in the low and open areas and 5a/b elsewhere. Nope, the maritime climate has changedd here and CBC announced...and local nurseries told me that certain areas on the island are zone 6a. My back yard is for sure! I have lots of things that only seem to come back in zone 7 growing. Our winters never get too cold but they are windy. Then again our summers are never scorchers like back in Ontario....except this August...ahhh reminds me of growing up back in Ottawa.

Better get to battening down the hatches so to speak...maybe we won't get hit too hard with the rain and winds....ya right!

Castawaykev

7. castawaykev

BTW I have a motion sensor light at my back door...that hopefully scares off would be thieves etc. It cost me only $25 and I installed it in like 20 minutes. I love it. Plus I have tenants in the basement, the real reason for the light. If I ever catch anyone stealing my seedlings or plants.....:) they will be compost!

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, well I have since discovered that someone in the building next to ours has taken my plants! I already suspected it, but when my red geranium was returned last night and left behind someon's car shortly after it got dark - this confirmed it for me! Do you believe someone put one back?!!!

I was looking out my window last night and saw what looked to be a potted plant behind someone's vehicle. Of course, I flew outside to check it out and low and behold it was my geranium - good as new!!!

I immediately knew that the thief was close by because no one would come back to return a stolen plant! How obvious is that? I think I even know who it is, but I will plan this out carefully before I make any moves, and not act impulsively. Rushing off and angrily confronting them will only make me a target. I think they put their friends up to it and the plants are likely not in their apartment.

I would have preferred to get my peppers and banana back, but just getting anything back at all, gave me hope and solved a real piece of puzzle. I knew it wasn't just a chance thievery because like I said, they were completely sheltered and hidden from strangers. Only people that live here know about them, and it certainly was no one from our building, that's for sure.

Yes, I hope you guys make out ok with all the bad weather. Stay safe. Great that you've protected your plants. I was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia originally, and love Maritimers. The most friendly people in all of Canada.

Yes, we will arrange a trade sometime next week, if you'd like. Looking quite forward to it. Thanks, Castawaykev.

9. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Oh i am so glad that you were able to get some back Sherry....have faith that the others will "mysteriously" show up too.

10. The Hollyberry Lady

I don't want to have false hope, but I must admit, Penny - I was thinking the same thing! I never expected to see any of those plants ever again, and the fact that one appeared back last night after dark really shocked the living daylights out of me! Anything could happen now...

11. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Thats so true, and i really do hope that whoever took them, does the right thing and returns them for you........fingers crossed for you~~!

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks so much, Penny. I am hoping that they will see that they cannot sustain them anyway and might as well just give them back...

13. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

You shouldn't put meat in the compost! D:

14. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Harvested some more pepper and tomato seeds yesturday......

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh I love to harvest and dry seeds - good for you, Penny!

16. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I know eh, me too, i have little plates all over the house now drying stuff.

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, last night I bought me a bag of fresh key limes, and harvested the seeds from them. Even if they don't grow true to the parent plant they might produce some pretty neat lime trees. We'll see...

Also bought a passion fruit and collected the seeds from inside. Oh how fun!

18. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Hmmmm, you have given me an idea on the limes, i have always wanted a tree, and i dont know why i didnt think of seeds from them~~

19. robv187

robv187 Member

Hi everyone, newly registered on the site and looking forward to making some friends who share the same interest as me in gardening. I don't actually have any seeds yet (i bought some from ebay, they'll arrive any day now), but i thought this is a nice thread that Hollyberry lady started, so I would list what i'll have shortly and can maybe set up some trades :)

Also, if anyone needs too they can check my ebay account for 100 % positive feedback, or i could send the seeds first, i don't mind.

Most of the seeds I have are for trees.

Haves:

Trees:

Pink Flowering Dogwood Tree - 10 Seeds

Weeping Cherry Tree - 5 Seeds

Norway Maple Tree - 10 Seeds (Very fast growing)

Eastern Redbud Tree, also known as: Cercis Canadensis - 10 Seeds

October Glory Red Maple Tree, also known as: Acer Rubrum - 10 Seeds

Royal Paulownia Empress Tree - 50 + Seeds (To my knowledge, the fastest growing tree.) Can grow 30 feet in only 3 years from what i have read. Very hardy too.

Fushia Crape Myrtle Tree, also known as Lagerstroemia Tonto - 5 to 10 Seeds.

Flowers:

Scabiosa Butterfly Blue PERENNIAL - 5 to 10 Seeds.

Wants:

Pretty much anything! I'm really interested in lots of different kinds of seeds. Maybe some kind of vegetable or fruit dwarf i could grow in a container, but also would like most flowers or tree seeds too. Let me know if there is anything your interested in.

Attached Files:

20. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Hi robv187! I've got a loquat tree which supposedly does well in containers and seeds will be harvested next may/june, but I could always send a seedling as the little buggers are like weeds in the good years. Yummy weeds, for sure.

21. robv187

robv187 Member

Hi ShearMe, thanks for the reply. The loquat seedling sounds great! I read up on them, they grow out of my zone (i'm a zone 6a, are winters are a bit harsh), but they're easy to grow and I can keep it as a house plant for the winter months.

Anything in particular you want from my haves list? Let me know :)

22. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

All of them,

I love them all, such beautiful colors.

HBL now will think I really am a blue fan..lol But it depends if it takes my eye right away and that Butterfly Blue certainly has done that so I would love to trade at some stage with the seed from that plant please Robv.

And the Weeping Cherry.

And Norway Maple.

I can buy you any seeds in trade back from Ebay.

23. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Hi Robv....i just love the weeping cherry, thats just beautiful.

I'm really interested in it.
    Sending a PM

Hmmmm, i guess i cant PM you yet until you have 10 posts, but i love the weeping cherry, can you PM me when you have 10 posts and we'll talk.

24. The Hollyberry Lady

I sure hope you've got a lot of seeds, Robv187!!!

Let me know if you have any left after your trades with others...

25. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Yes, they prune well supposedly and can be stored in the house or garage over winter. Some people in apartments even have them!

All the trees look wonderful, but I have no room for any trees. I'd be interested in the Scabiosa Butterfly Blue seeds though. Would you like to wait for seeds, or would you be interested in seedlings?