A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

hahahaaa

did your water plant survive?? too sad for the fish. :(

:)

and next season will be even better!

:) :)

2. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

This kind of thing damages everyone's sense of security, but it usually brings you out stronger than before as you now know the dangers of thieving. I will never leave any plants out so long as I can and if I ever get a greenhouse I will be sure to keep it under lock, key, and surveillance for sure.

I advise you, HBL, to get a new gardening pot soon to hold a certain present from a certain friend looking to give you a kick-start.

3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Oh, now I get it Zac!

Sorry about the IBS post about not being clued in - hadn't read this yet! You are just a real sweetheart, you know? I appreciate your kindness so much, and I am just getting teary now because of how nice you people really are! Wow.

I just feel so cheered up and cared about. What a nice feeling, to counter-act this sick feeling I have had all day. Thank you so very much. I am touched by this gesture and will not forget it.

: )

4. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Sometimes when you are feeling down after you've been wronged you just gotta punch yourself in the chest and get to the dirty work in reclaiming your pride. After my dog repeatedly knocked over some potted plants I stood there in furry 'till I fixed it all up so that he could never do it again.

Oh, if anyone here tried it, they'd get away with my whole backyard! They are more interested in copper wiring and A/C units I think.

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Don't worry - I will bounce back from this. It's still all just so fresh, so it just takes time is all. I am grieving my stolen plants and killed fish for a few days, but I will come out stronger in the end.

6. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Good HBL

You got in the police, now its a 'crime scene' and has been logged. Now, do you have insurance? This almost always covers theft. Pots are very expensive.

Hah! You are joking..yea you must be shearme?

With garden pots, garden plants being so expensive here theft during the summer is rife. We all want what the well designed garden has..don't we?

If we can't afford it only one thing left, and HBL just found out what that is.

I feel so helpess to help..so frustrating being in England when friends accross the pond need us so badly.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  7. tugo

tugo Active Member

Uffff I have just read what happened and felt too much sorry dear HbL. I understand your feelings and broken heart compleately. The worst part ( ok stealing is too bad this way or another but) as I understand from their behaviour, they did not this just because they give some value to the plants but just to break down some one elses good, nice and positive efforts to build up something nice. They should be jelous for that because they have lack of such feelings.
    Keep your head up ( I am sure for that ) and start re- building your wonderful world again. Don't let them to steel and destroy your soul and wish/eager.
    Sorry again.

8. tugo

tugo Active Member

After to my post, I read that you have taken all your plants, indoors. In my opinion, don't do that, leave at least some still in their previous places, they will be your flag of freedom. Those thieves will be very happy to see that they have destroyed your nice world and limited your freedom because as I had written before, they should not have done this just because to make some money from a few plants but are jelous of some ones abilities of building a nice way of life
    with some simple hobby.

9. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your plants and fish HBL, I just dont understand somepeople. It really does happens here we've had several plants stolen from the garden i work in and tools from anothersite we run down the road.
    Someone stole seed from us and then sent us an email asking us to id the plant. Its not big but we trade that seed with other gardens to preserve the plant species for the future.

Hope you get your seeds germinating well to replace your plants soon.
    Dont think anyones going to get your plants again after that.

one of the things we use here is pot/tree anchors to try and stop them being stolen

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh wow - you people are so nice, and cheerful. You all have such wonderful things to say. The tears are rolling again - who could help themselves?!!!

Katalina, thank you so much for being such a good friend to me, and being there for me in this. Today, I spent nearly the whole day in the gardens, transplanting some of my indoor plants outside, and watering and fertilizing everything as well! It made me feel so good to be out enjoying my gardening and doing what I love most.

Fortunately those stolen pots were inexpensive, but yes I do have insurance - just not sure yet about something outside my apartment. The plants themselves were worth far more to me than the pots, and I am not talking about money!

Tugrul - I knew you would feel so bad about what happened. Your pink nelumbo was just thriving! I am ashamed to say that even though I could have filled the pond back up and easily saved my Nelumbo, I was so utterly devastated that the fish had come to such a bitter end, that I just had to be done with it for this year. I knew it would only bring me sadness to look at it without the fish, and new fish just didn't feel right, so I had to let go of it. So sorry, but at least I got the experience and know I can be successful with ponds.

I have some new information about my stolen plants, but don't want to have to re-type such a long post, so give me a sec to copy and paste it from another thread and then you will know what happened last night, in regards to my stolen plants.

Also, I must clarify about the pond. The water was dumped out so it could be carried to the car - much too heavy otherwise. The intention was to steal it but I interrupted the process, so they couldn't get it. It is possible and maybe even likely that they didn't know there was fish even in there. The leaves were covering much of the top of the water. Regardless of course, if he hadn't have been up to no good, my fish would be alive and all would be well!

I'll be back with an update of some very interesting information...

P.S. Thanks for your comments, Greerish - some good ideas.

11. The Hollyberry Lady

UPDATE:

Yes, well I have since discovered that someone in the building next to ours has taken my plants! I already suspected it, but when my red geranium was returned last night and left behind someone's car shortly after it got dark - this confirmed it for me! Do you believe someone put one of my plants back?!!!

: O

I was looking out my window last night and saw what looked to be a potted plant behind someone's vehicle. Of course, I flew outside to check it out and low and behold it was my geranium - good as new!!!

I immediately knew for certain that the thief was close by because no one would come back to return a stolen plant! How obvious is that? I think I even know who it is, but I will plan this out carefully before I make any moves, and not act impulsively. Rushing off and angrily confronting them will only make me a target. I think they put their friends up to it and the plants are likely not in their apartment.

I would have preferred to get my peppers and banana back, but just getting anything back at all, gave me hope - and solved a real piece of puzzle. I knew it wasn't just a chance thievery because like I said, they were completely sheltered and hidden from strangers. Only people that live around here know about them, and it certainly was no one from our building, that's for sure!

Anyway, part of me feels better now that they returned the geranium, because at least it's no big mystery. What a bunch of idiotic fools to do that, but all the better for me. They may as well have left a sign with the geranium that reads 'We live here'!!!!!

12. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Though some plants left out would show a "flag of freedom" I feel that it would not affect them as their broken souls have already gone far enough to steal them. How one leads themselves into thinking this type of behavior is o.k. I hope I will never know, but it is truly a difficult path to bring them back to virtue; a path usually lain unbroken unless forced through the brush. It is best to play it safe and discourage thieves as they are more prone to think "idiot left her plants out again" as opposed to "wow, it didn't even affect her."

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Although I love Tugrul's idea - I know I will not be able to leave anymore plants out at this point, and still have peace of mind. I just cannot go through that again - not any time soon. I am still reeling from it.

I do think that types like these are just low-life degenerates, who have nothing to offer - just take. Even if it's not yours. I think ShearMe is exactly right, and that if I left them outside, then I would be giving them a chance to devastate me again - and they wouldn't disappoint, I'm certain!

I do love the concept though, Tugrul. I also really enjoyed this comment too...

Already am.

14. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Exactly right! If you had a million of each plant I'd do tugo's idea for sure, but now you only have the one basjoo left.

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Don't you worry, Zac - my banana baby will not be left out for thieves - so that they have 2 and I have none!!!

There's a saying..."First time, shame on them - Second time, shame on you" They got me once but never again.

P.S. They didn't get my Bay Laural plant either!

16. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Take that plant thievers!

17. The Hollyberry Lady

So nice waking up this morning knowing with certainty that my plants would all still be here, unharmed and untouched! I will show pictures of my new display - I added a few of the many plants in my apartment to make up for the stolen ones. It is not the same and not nearly as unique and ornamental, but it is making the best out of a bad situation, and at least the back door is not bare and lifeless. I couldn't have it.

Here's some pics to show the back door after the thievery - not too shabby, huh? You can see a close of of my red geranium that was brought back, in the last shot. The second pic shows my Martha Washington 'Maiden Rose' Pelargonium - that will bloom soon. Third shot shows my beautiful Bay Laurel plant, with Firecracker hot pepper seedlings all around it! Firecracker plant tends to trail down the pot! Fourth pic are my 2 Explosive Blast hot peppers seedlings with my 'Little Blue Pot" pepper in the middle.

See, I told you they wouldn't get the best of me!

Attached Files:

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Also...

About a week ago, my poor indoor banana plant fell off of a stool I had it on momentarily and crashed to the floor, smashing the pot it was in! It was a real nightmare. The lower leaves began to turn yellow and die, and the new leaf growing, was all torn and tattered, so I had to remove a lot of the lower leaves and crop off the new torn one too.

Nothing will stop my banana baby though, because it has fully recovered and is now growing again! Basjoo is really hardy and it will be beautiful again in no time. I put it outside this morning for the very first time, and it is in an even more sheltered spot than my other plants, but it is super sunny. Not the most swept area but I will take care of the later. Anyway here is my banana plant...

Attached Files:

19. Nath

Nath Active Member

HBL,

I was really shocked and sorry to read what happened to your plants and fish. Such a shame after all the loving care you gave them too. I have only just read this as I havent had chance this weekend to log on to this site. Don't give up and start planning the next batch of seeds to sow, once the new shoots come through you will be cheered up no end. I can understand why you would want to keep your plants inside from now on but maybe you can grow some inexpensive ones in plastic pots just to cheer up the bear spot left behind. if the owners of the builing allow it you can always screw a trellis to the wall and grow a climber up it.

I hope you are soon back in the groove again and don't let a small sick minority spoil it all.

Take care HBL!!

Nath

20. JanR

JanR Active Member

Sherry, I can't say how sorry I am that those evil people stole your plants. Your back door still looks very nice. When your Maiden Rose Pelargonium comes into flower it will be absolutely georgeous.

21. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh thank you for the encouraging words, Nath and Jan.

Not to worry - those creeps won't keep me down long. The great thing is that I have so many plants in my apartment that I had many to put outside and fill up the area again - seedlings too.

Yes Jan, exactly what I was thinking as well, that when the Pelargonium blooms it will be so beautiful and showy again. Great to know that things will never be stolen from me again.

22. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Not meaning to get off topic or to be rude in a time of sorrow but I just have to share this.

I found a picture to prove my statement. The litle sprouts are moonflower seedlings. :)

-

Attached Files:

23. The Hollyberry Lady

You are not being rude, Blake - I want to move on now.

I love your Gerbera daisies? So pretty.

24. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

thanks, wow 1000 posts!!! and ime the 1000th!! Ive never seen so many posts before, this may now be the longest thread on the fourm. ;)

:)

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Wish more people would show their pics...