Dwarf red japanese maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kiquere, Aug 22, 2009.

1. kiquere

kiquere Member

Hi, I'm a new user I will thanks anyone that get me some information about my dwarf red japanese maple (acer palmatum) like I read in the tag. I have this tree for 2 years now, is about 4 feet tall, but the leaves are like burned and it not really have grown more in this 2 years. I live in Florida, north Florida, and the summers here are very hot. I appreciated any advice.

2. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Do you have any shade available for it -- is it located all day in the bright sun? Have you loosened the soil, added lots of natural humus, made it a loose acid soil with lots of mulch on top, kept it fairly moist [but not soggy], misted the tree with a hose or irrigation frequently? I believe Japan has hot summers, very hot and humid, so it must be something regarding the sun exposure, the moisture or lack of it, or the soil. Be careful with fertilizers, only use that lightly and sparingly, and use an acid one. My new Orangeola Japanese Maple is somewhat browned at the leaf tips too, way up here in the Pacific Northwest, but I think it is just lack of attention on the hottest days [forgot to mist it enough], and its being relatively new [this is its second year]... A green laceleaf JM we have in our back patio is now 3 years old and has no brown tips now, but it did.

3. kiquere

kiquere Member

Thank you very much for your tips, I think that is the lack of water like you tell me.
    Thank you again.

4. Paula B

Paula B Active Member

I planted a dwarf maple this past spring and during the hot weather the leaves withered and turned brown also. I thought it was dying. Misting didn't help but I placed a trickling hose at the drip line for 20-30 minutes for the next 4 days and there was a vast improvement. The weather in the Pacific North West has cooled down now but I'm maintaining the trickling hose twice a week. I think my little maple will recover, they just need plenty of water. give it a try.