Blue Atlas Cedar

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by digger714, Aug 16, 2009.

1. digger714

digger714 Member

I purchased a blue atlas cedar about 2 months ago. I planted it the day i bought it, and it seems to be doing great. What a beautiful tree. I am new to these types of trees, and i noticed a few brown needles. The tree is about 6 feet tall. The trunk is about 1 1/2", and has many branches. Each little cluster of needles might have 1 or 2 brown ones out of 20 or so. Is this normal? We have had a good bit of rain this month. About 3 inches so far. Is it getting too much water? Any other ideas? I can get more pics if these are not good enough. Thanks for any help anyone can give me. These pics were taken on 8-16-09

Thanks,
    Brad

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd say it's fine, it looks to be just some of the older needles dropping.

3. digger714

digger714 Member

Thanks Michael, I love the tree, and dont want to take any chances if there is something i could have done. Thanks again.

Brad

4. digger714

digger714 Member

You can see the needles starting to turn yellow, and then brown. These were taken on Saturday 8-22-09. Any ideas. Thanks

Brad

Attached Files:

5. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I am guessing that it is a normal seasonal die-off of some of the needles, which I believe almost all conifer trees do about this time of year. Several different types in my area are looking quite brown in places, then they become greener or their natural silver-blue in winter. The ground is a medley of needles, until raked up. One thing about gardening and plantsman/womanship I am discovering is that each one has its shedding season or its down time, and we can't expect perfection all year 'round, as if they were only ornaments... but it is wise to be vigilant about their light, water and temperature...

6. digger714

digger714 Member

Thanks Janet. I was hoping thats what it was. I am new to this type of cedar, and just wanted to make sure. We have had alot of rain the past few days. Ill keep ya posted if it gets alot worse. There seems to be lots of new growth all over the tree. Thanks again for your help.

Brad